Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hypothetical Scenario With Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 928 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:18 AM

After much 'hubub', I decided to delete the $Windows.~BT Folder and 'hide all updates' associated with GWX primarily because I felt strongly that MS had no right to inject these into my OS without my approval.

With that being said, let's say that MS has back-pedaled on the 'privacy issues' and now are in the 'good graces' of Windows users.

With the year option to upgrade for free still valid, can I somehow re-install the $Windows.BT~Folder and download all those hidden updates to make a (smooth?) transition to WinX.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 10:04 AM

You are free to upgrade at any time using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. I suggest you to upgrade using that method rather than using the Windows Update method since the failure ratio is much higher that way.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

The "Upgrade Now" option will download the Windows 10 upgrade files ($Windows.~BT folder) on your system and upgrade it that way. The .iso option will download a Windows 10 .iso on your system. From there, you can simply virtually mount it (using a program like Deamon Tools LITE under Windows 7 or the native image mounting on Windows 8 and 8.1) and then launch the setup.exe.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 928 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:01 AM

Thank You, Aura

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:03 PM

No problem sikntired, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:37 PM

The iso is no longer bootable?

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:38 PM

You can create a bootable media with the .iso, yes.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users