Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scroll bar Selection Malfunctioning

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Saruman

Saruman

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:05 AM

This may either be a hardware issue or a virus but I am unable to select from any Windows listing including Favorites, Print, etc. It scrolls back to the top every time and when held it flickers wildly. This renders my computer and any work I want to do basically impossible. Can anyone please help me to detect what is wrong?

I am using Windows 7 on a Toshiba Laptop. The laptop recently suffered a liquid spill which has deadened some keys. However it has functioned with external keyboard. I am suspecting a virus has got control because the computer worked quite well after it was examined and backed up. The symptoms do seem to indicate a virus as the other functions of the computer are working.

I am running some scans now and if anyone has any clue how to fix this I will be eternally grateful as I am dependant on this machine for work.

I will add that the touchpad is also inoperable and I use a Logitech wireless mouse which has no apparent problem.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 28 October 2015 - 05:16 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to 'Am I infected?'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Saruman

Saruman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:23 AM

Thanks for moving me here. NOW SOLVED! I have found the probable cause to be driver conflict. To help anyone else, I was using a wireless mouse bought in Japan and no changed back to a cheaper wire mouse - no problem and computer is working better than ever.

As for the liquid spill. Some keys stopped working. I used an external wireless keyboard. Meanwhile as I thought about the repair I had bought another laptop. And now the former one is working again! The problem keys are all working perfectly but they do not initially after boot. This seems to be a case of circuit failure on the keyboard and repairs itself after the laptop heats up.

I am not going to try and repair but conduct further observation at present.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users