Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't boot all the way after Windows update.. keeps shutting down

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jag123

jag123

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:39 PM

Hello,

I have a Gateway GM 5664 desktop PC running Windows 7.

System specs:

AMD Phenom 9600 quad core processor
2.3 Ghz
3584 MB Ram
Bios Version P01-A2, release 12/10/2009

Recently after performing a Windows update and restarting the computer I'm getting the screen where it says "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

Then it presents two options:

Launch startup repair
Start Windows normally

When I choose either option the computer will shut off after about 5 seconds. It does this every time.

Here are some things I've tried thus far:

I tried changing the boot order and using a Windows startup repair disc and it appeared to load but then the same message above would come up and the pc would shut off.

I checked inside and all the fans are working and everything seems to be secure. 

Some system spec I can access before getting the screen with the windows failed to start message. Readings after about 10 min of computer being on.

CPU temp: 50c
System temp: 41c
CPU fan speed: 1700 rpm
System fan speed: 1000 rpm
Cpu core: 1.248 V

Note I did replace the motherboard about a year ago but I haven't used this computer very often.

Anyone have some idea on what I can do to get it to work?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 loginandrepair

loginandrepair

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:15 PM

When performing that update did you let it finish all the way (very important) also if you let it stay at the "Launch startup repair Start Windows normally" screen will it shut off after awhile. I really don't think its a hardware issue at all but a corrupted update that didn't get to finish.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 October 2015 - 09:55 AM.
removed commercial business link

#3 jag123

jag123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:44 PM

Yes I let it the updates finish and then it asked to restart the PC. Since then I've been having this issue.

Also after I get the Windows failed to start message and I choose an option or just let the 30 second timer run down I get a screen where it shows a white bar at the bottom of the screen saying Windows files loading. After a few seconds it's at this point when the pc just shuts off everytime.

#4 loginandrepair

loginandrepair

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:29 AM

Do you happen to have the Windows 7 Disc? You can boot from disk like your about to reinstall Windows but instead choose "Repair Your Computer" worst case scenario you can restore your computer to a earlier time before the update.

#5 jag123

jag123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:30 PM

Yes I tried using the Windows 7 disc and I could hear the disc making sounds and then seeing the Windows files loading with the white bar at the bottom but then the same thing would happen as the Windows logo appeared and the pc would shut off.

#6 loginandrepair

loginandrepair

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:08 PM

Since you have the disc try backing up your files them reinstall Windows if it still shuts off afterwards then you more then likely have a hardware is and I would try some local shops. Most have free dios

#7 jag123

jag123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:40 PM

I can't backup the files though because the pc keeps shutting off before booting completely.

#8 loginandrepair

loginandrepair

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:50 PM

Again im not sure if its a hardware issue or just corrupted files in your os. If it is you can download a free live disc like Active Boot Disc boot from it then drag your files to a flash drive. If it cuts off when attempting then if more than likely hardware and you will need a hdd reader or take it to a local shop that has one.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:25 AM

Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

The first 3 are bootable and don't require Windows to run.

Let us know the results and we'll move on from there.

To recover your files, you may want to try slaving the hard drive to another computer and copying the files there.

If it doesn't work there, then you're probably looking at a problem with the hard drive.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 jag123

jag123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 02:07 PM

I actually have a copy of Ultimate Boot CD V5.0B6 which I was able to load up. 

Not sure exactly what I need to do next though.

I did run a hard drive test and it came up with no errors.

See screenshots for some more info.

In the last screenshot when I typed in c for the boot drive I was able to get to the windows repair menu with options and then I selected something like use the last known good configuration.  Once I did that it tried booting but then shut down again right after the windows logo appeared.  The next time I tried typing in c I got the error message you see in the last screenshot (could not find kernel image).

Attached Files

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 04:50 PM

The last screen shot shows that the system can't find anything to boot from on the C: drive.

In most cases this means that the boot files aren't accessible on the C: drive.

But I can't tell if this is an error due to the UBCD or not.

See the second screenshot?  The one with the WDC entries first?

Try selecting those and see if the system boots (not likely, but it's worth a try).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 jag123

jag123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:21 PM

I tried what you suggested but it didn't work.

No idea what to do at this point.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:01 AM

Try this:  https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-7.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users