Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

98SE does not shutdown

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 borgward

borgward

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:33 PM

I press shutdown. Get screen "Windows is Shutting Down" But it never shuts down. Tried Ctrl Alt Del Tab Tab Enter. Nothing happens. It is Dual Booted with CentOS 5.9. I can click on restart and it shutsdown, goes through BIOS and GRUB comes up (linux bootloader) where I can select CentOS or Windows. I next selected Restart in MS-DOS mode I entered exit at the C prompt and get "Windows is restarting" I entered shutdown at Run and get Cannot find the file shutdown.exe {or one of it's components}. Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available. I did all the MS updates while they were still available from MS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:29 PM

A program is not releasing control -- that's my first educated guess, remembering my W95-98+ days.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:32 PM

Install the Windows 98 Shutdown Supplement from here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/239887

Disable fast shutdown https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/187607

Edited by Eyesee, 01 November 2015 - 11:55 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 alan1000

alan1000

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:51 AM

Ah, memory lane!  The old Windows 98 shutdown problem... but the original post is, I see, five months old now, so forgive me if my own post is now of purely historical interest and perhaps a tad self-indulgent.

A tactic I favoured - which is probably equivalent to 'disable fast shutdown' - is to increase the shutdown timeout interval in the registry.   The default time-out value (from memory, 20 seconds?) is stored in the WaitToKillAppTimeout value in the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

This value is expressed in milliseconds.  Use the Registry Editor to double it, then restart the computer for the change to take effect.

Another tactic which may work is to carry out regular registry cleaning;  this did actually solve the problem for one laptop I owned.  Yet a third tactic is to install a TSR memory cleaner;  I remember there was one called simply "OptimizeMemory" which I always found very efficient.  This will scour the orphan threads out of your system resources, making the most of the little one has.

#5 compostery

compostery

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:09 PM

If you are connected to a network, try disconnecting from the network before you attempt to shut down. That used to work for me.

#6 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:46 PM

A tactic I favoured - which is probably equivalent to 'disable fast shutdown' - is to increase the shutdown timeout interval in the registry.   The default time-out value (from memory, 20 seconds?) is stored in the WaitToKillAppTimeout value in the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

This value is expressed in milliseconds.  Use the Registry Editor to double it, then restart the computer for the change to take effect.

Hmmmmmm I dont have a "Waittokillapptimeout" entry on that key Alan! (I would love to find out why my computer doesnt shut down 99% of the time when I click shutdown)

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:20 PM

Hmmmmmm...I would love to find out why my computer doesnt shut down 99% of the time when I click shutdown.

If you want to start a new thread, I probably can help you find your answer.  Years ago, I had a similar problem.

Edited by RolandJS, 16 May 2016 - 01:21 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#8 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:12 PM

Why start a new thread when there is one already started on this topic?? (Doesnt look good having multiple threads ON THE SAME BASE about the same thing)

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:30 PM

Start a new thread is a political correct tactic   :)

Ok, when W98 doesn't shut down correctly, rather, having to be forced off, is a problem sometimes caused by one or more resident in memory program[s] not releasing control to Windows shutdown.  What security and monitoring programs are present?  If I remember Windows 98 taskbar correctly, it has a icon notification area in the lower right corner [of a bottom-residing taskbar.  Let's try something: just before you shut down, right click on almost all icons in the icon notification area and pick close, exit, vamonos, etc. Let me know if that helps speed up and smooth out your Windows 98 shutdown.

#10 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:13 PM

Thank you for your help......... I dont have anything but SYSTRAY running when I shutdown :)

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:48 AM

Thank you for your help......... I dont have anything but SYSTRAY running when I shutdown :)

Refresh my memory, what does systray do?  And, what anti-virus, anti-malware programs do you have with real time protection shields?

#12 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:41 AM

systray keeps things running smoothly I guess..... Im not sure exactly what it does.... (Best not to close it from the bar though)

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:33 AM

What security and/or monitoring programs are lurking in the icon notification tray?

#14 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:33 AM

Nothing I close everything out bud.... (Having things in the tray just bog stuff down slightly so if you can close thier icons out and have stuff still running,its best)

#15 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:45 AM

Did U try unplugging the PC or shutting off the PSU using the switch? That would easily shut down the computer.In case U don't know 98SE had ended support many years ago. This means that it is a vulnerable operating system meaning that viruses can easily cause an infestation on your 98SE computer. Try and use an antivirus program like ClamWin to see if the problem is caused by a virus. If not then please reply here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users