Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ideas for bring my sites popularity back up?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tim_K

Tim_K

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:07 PM

I've had a video site running for over 12-1/2 years, and it used to do well, but things have slowed lately.  I am looking for suggestions on how to make it more popular.

My site isn't getting anywhere near the recognition it deserves.  It is historical.  It is profound.  It is entertaining.

I started my own webshow back in early 2003.  Before Youtube.  Before MySpace.  Before Facebook.  To date I have 177 episodes.  I speak and give commentary on a variety of subjects, but I leave sports and politics out of it, although my conservative republican attitude probably does shine through a bit!  I'm sure it is obvious in my most recent episode #177 - "Fast Food Money".

Anyway, it is "Online Video", the LONGEST RUNNING web series in the history of the internet (Really. I do believe it is. I have never found a video show that was started before mine).

And it is at www.loudmouthtim.com .

Stop by and see it and give me some ideas.  Thanks.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 October 2015 - 09:49 PM.
offensive content deleted. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forum-rules/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,467 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:21 PM

Hello Tim_K,

The first thing I don't see is that the site is responsive.

Next some graphics to help guide your readers along to the content. 

That is at a 1 second glance.

edit:

another 2 second glance

Your keywords are not in your content

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools

Edited by Martel, 26 October 2015 - 09:13 PM.

#3 Tim_K

Tim_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:27 PM

Thanks for the ideas so far, I did that google webmasters tools thing and verified ownership.  I will check back on that page for stats, I put it in my favorites.

What do you mean that the site is not responsive?  I wrote the HTML code back in late 2002, when most people had 56K dial-up, so the file sizes were kept small to enable fast page loading.

And "my keywords are not in my content"..... not sure what you mean by that.  Where are they now and what do you mean by getting them into my content?

I agree that maybe I should make it a bit more obvious what to click on for the episodes, maybe the green "webshows" tab isn't enough in this day and age of graphics-loaded sites.

#4 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,467 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:07 PM

Responsive means the page will respond to all device types. e.g. computer screen or smart phone or tablet...
The keywords help search engines keep up with it.
Do a Google search of keywords.
To see your keywords look at your source (ctrl+u)
I totally get that you wrote it in 2002.
Alot has changed and as you have asked about your rankings there are things that will help.
Ask yourself who are your ....say 3 competitors. Or who you want to emulate and use that to point you in the right direction.
I had a 56k modem. I remember the thrill of obtaining a 300 baud modem and a 1200.
I also remember being technologically advanced for owning a 0.5 megapixle camera with a massive 64mb sd card.

Edited by Martel, 27 October 2015 - 12:30 AM.

#5 reddroidpopbadmotiva

reddroidpopbadmotiva

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:45 PM

I find your website interesting. 

Earlier this year, Google made it so mobile friendliness affected search engine rankings.  One way to make a website mobile-friendly is to make it 'responsive' to the dimensions of the screen.  Another way is to have a mobile friendly version which it redirects to based on the size of the user's screen.  Even if your site was mobile-friendly, I doubt you would get much traffic from search engines searches.  Also, by making it mobile friendly, you could be eroding its nostalgia value slightly.

I think a better way to draw traffic would be to:
1.  Start a Twitter profile for the account.  Follow a lot of people, and unfollow those who don't follow back within a week (there are online tools to do this).  Tweet about the content on your website (and other stuff), and interact with other Twitter users.
2.  Start a YouTube account and upload your videos to it (maybe once every few days). Emphasise the history of your site, and that you have downloadable videos there stretching back to 2002. 
3.  Post links to your site on forums (like what you have done here).  This not only draws traffic, but can also improve the search engine rankings.  Some people might complain about you promoting your site, but others will appreciate learning about an old site with downloadable multimedia content.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:58 AM

Will your web sites allow meta description, meta keywords, meta tags, meta this, meta that, meta the other?

Years ago, on comland.com, prismnet.com, earthlink.net, my able college web site wisely and correctly used the back-then very important meta stuff.

Example, years ago, before NASA upgraded their 'Net visibility, on my web site, my nasa.html had links to all of their main laboratories, control centers, portals.  All I did was simply have pointers to various NASA this, that, the other.  Back then, search engine spiders reigned supreme.  Back then, my nasa.html's pointers to the various NASA entities was ranked and parked right above theirs.

able college was taken down by me 'cause I had to move from dial-up to DSL, and I did not desire to pay for two major ISPs.

If you want to see examples of my earlier meta work, let me know.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users