Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating one laptop from 3

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alanmcm

Alanmcm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:56 PM

Hey guys first time poster on here looking some advice. I have a Lenovo Z510 i5 Ideapad and it recently took a tumble and some damage was caused. The screen has a funky new design in the top corner of the display, been there for a while now so not too bothered about that. The main issue is that when the laptop fell onto the floor it landed on the charger port.

It has damaged the casing of the laptop and the power jack itself, to the point it wont charge the laptop anymore. This happened a while back and it was charging it but the connection wasn't great and it had to be coaxed into place and left alone so it could charge. Now it wont charge at all now. I have searched for a Z510 power jack and cannot find one. There is similar ones on eBay,  I have purchased one and it didn't help. The purchased one lit up the charger light briefly but it wouldn't charge the laptop.

One other I will mention is that I may have shorted out between the two pins on the power jack, when I say 'may' I mean I have. Is their any fuses on the board that may be affected by this? One of the pins on the back of jack was coming out so I used a screwdriver to poke it back up but the charger was still plugged into it and I touched two pins at the same time.

My question is how transferrable are memory CPU's and harddrives? I have a Samsung R720 and wouldn't mind upgrading it, it overheats quite a bit but a bit of cleaning will sort that, I hope.

Or can I take a power jack from another laptop and plug it into the Lenovo? I have the charger for the Samsung and could strip it for parts. I have a Toshiba Satellite C850 as well but no charger for it. I could purchase a new charger if the power jacks are transferrable or if the hardware is transferrable. Not sure of the spec of the Toshiba as it was my sons.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks very much in advance. I will try and answer questions as best possible.

Thanks Alan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:26 PM

Gosh, mixing those parts might work if you spread it out on an anti-static mat. The plastic cases can be replaced, most fail at the hinge mounting area.  Mixing different mfgrs parts in a single case??  Even swapping drives will do nothing without the respective WIN? install disk(s) to re-characterize the OS and load the needed files and changes.

#3 Alanmcm

Alanmcm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:49 PM

So it isn't easy then lol How about the power jacks? Can they be transferred easily enough or are they designed for specific boards? I'm thinking they are.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:31 PM

So many different levels and configurations.  Power jacks may work from unit to unit but voltages and current ratings are different.  Some have a small internal inverter boards for the power and charging circuits and others, it's part of the main board.  Jammed jacks and connectors are number one fault on laptops due to walk-aways when plugged in and drops on the connector.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users