Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Computer A Goner?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jimlau

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:28 AM

my old dell dimension 4600 pc will no longer boot.  it powers up, but I don't get to the stage where you hear that beep sound, i think when it is as far as into the bios.  nothing seems unplugged.  my DVD disc drive works, as it powers up, and has a bootable cd in it, but it never gets that far.  nothing ever shows on the monitor either.
does it sound like this is shot? anything a newbie can do to diagnose this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,446 posts
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:51 AM

Onsite tech would often remove cover, unplug cd-dvd player, unplug [back then FD &] HDs, remove sound card and all other [back then PCI & legacy] cards, remove memory sticks, unplug monitor, mouse & keyboard.  Something should beep with just the PS-MB post.  Add keyboard.  Add mouse.  Add memory [1 stick at a time].  PC should at least not be "going backwards" - hopefully you still get post beep.  Add monitor and keyboard [watch for any accidental bent pins].  Add either CD-DVD w/boot disk or HD, if can get into BIOS - make sure boot order includes cd-dvd along with HD boot.  Hopefully, computer, successfully posting, begins boot sequence.  Keep us informed. 

Incidentally, by removing and replacing the above material, you are refreshing the numerous connections. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users