Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Backup & Restore

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:26 AM

OS Win 7 Sp1 Pro. Yesterday attempted to run backup as I normally do every Sunday. However after over 2 hours and using 4
DVD's I stopped the backup as this has never happened before. The most DVD's I've ever used to do a routine backup was two. I cannot figure out what has caused the change. I have no huge files per se`.

I performed a Disk Cleanup to get rid of Temp Files and $Windows.~BT Folder. I also did a System Restore to the time of the previous backup (10-18-2015). This was done this AM.

I then tried to do a routine backup and again it has taken well over 2 hours and 4 DVD's and it shows only 75% complete.

Ideas and/or solutions?? I'm really baffled by this as I haven't downloaded any large files nor made any significant changes. The only thing I can think of is that a day or two prior I downloaded Aoemi Backerupper and ran it to see if I would like it but decided to uninstall after using. Other than that ??

Sorry, Noticed I posted in wrong Forum. Could a Moderator please move to Win 7.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows Vista to the more appropriate forum, as requested. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 27 October 2015 - 12:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,527 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:10 AM

Are you using re-writable DVDs?  I've used them also!  Anyway, I recommend switching to a couple of external usb HDs.  I have to empty out several temp directories before making backups.  How much time between backups?  I'm wondering if System Restore Points and other big-saves are taking up HD space. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:55 PM

Yes, I'm using DVD RW and have been for all my backups. I really don't believe that I have that much taking up HD space. As previously stated, I do backups regularly once a week.

Thanks for response though.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,527 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:59 PM

Keep on eye on those DVD-RWs.  I was putting speeches and music on them and playing in the car.  I noticed some hiccups from time to time.  Make sure they really are 100% restorable backups, maybe test one or two from time to time via verify.  I still recommend two external HDs   :)

Edited by RolandJS, 26 October 2015 - 11:07 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:37 PM

Why not get a portable hard drive and use that as your backup medium.  You can get a WD passport 1TB for about $60.  Much more space..much faster backups...one device, rather than a stack of disks.

I use Syncback free to backup important data, and Macrium reflect to do full disk images.  They are both excellent programs and definitely worth a look.

Edited by MarkMCS, 26 October 2015 - 05:44 PM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#6 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:52 PM

All of these suggestions are appreciated and noteworthy. However the 'crux' or 'root' of the problem is what I am trying to solve. Perhaps I may not have made myself clear concerning the current backup. I purchased this rig on 02/25/2010. Since then,  I have always done backups weekly. In all that time, I have never ever had to use more than 3 DVD's for a successful backup. More often than not it has been two but with the $Windows.~BT Folder it required an additional DVD, thus three.

As I stated, I attempted to do a backup and with just 75% completion I have already gone through 4 DVD's and working on more. So, I stopped the backup as this is not normal. I have ran SFC /Scannow, CHKDSK /r, Disk Cleanup and System Restore.

The reason I say this is not normal is due to the fact that my wife and I are not 'gamers' and the free space on the HD is 526GB. So you see there are not a lot of clutter with files, pics,etc.

And as I previously stated, I have not made any changes to anything other than downloading AOEMI Backerupper and running it. I have since uninstalled it.

The backup worked fine on Sunday, 10/18/2015 ( used 3 DVD's ). So the question is what has occurred in one week's time that is causing this problem. I have made System Images before and this behavior kind of reminds me of that but I did not request System Image. Just doing normal weekly backup.

Hope I made the problem clearer.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:42 PM

Not sure if will help but see these two links. 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/how-does-windows-choose-which-files-to-back-up

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/back-up-restore-faq#1TC=windows-7

How much storage space do I need to Backup Files.

That depends on the size of the files you back up. We recommend that you save your backup on an external hard drive that can hold at least 200 GB. Windows Backup keeps track of the files that have been added or modified since your last backup and then updates the existing backup, which saves disk space. You can manage the disk space that is used for your backups by doing the following:

1. Open Backup and Restore by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Backup and Restore.

2. Click Manage space18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Note
    • If you haven't set up backup, you won't see Manage space.

3. To delete older file backups, under Data file backup, click View backups.

You can then select the file backups that you want to delete, which will free up disk space. Deleting an entry in the list will not have an impact on other backups. If you think that you don't need a version of your files from a certain backup period, you can delete that backup. We recommend that you always keep the most recent backup.

4. To change the amount of space that is used by system image backups, under System image, click Change settings.

You can then choose to have Windows save older system image backups or just the most recent system image backup

#8 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:33 PM

You haven't mentioned what program you are using for your backup.  In any case, if it's taking more space, it's backing up more data.  Check the backup settings, and open the backup so you can see what exactly has been backed up.  Perhaps that will explain the extra disk.  We have no way of knowing why it's taking more space this time without additional information.  

Please take my advice and get a portable drive. I can save an image in less than an hour with Macrium, and that image ends up at over 100GB.  My data backups with Syncback take minutes.  Writing to dvds is a slow process and isn't recommended for routine backups.

Edited by MarkMCS, 26 October 2015 - 08:44 PM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#9 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:54 AM

Once again thanks to you all of you for your advice and assistance. It is sincerely appreciated.

@RolandJS, The DVD RW's are relatively new and have not experienced prior problems. Will consider external HD.

@JohnC_21, The links and the 'quoted info' are very informative and self-explanatory. I understand the process more clearly and options.

@MarkMCS, I use Windows built-in Backup & Restore Program and have since day one.

"Writing to dvds is a slow process and isn't recommended for routine backups".

You are correct. Old habits are hard to break, though. But I think it is time to 'chuck' the DVD's for something better and faster.

#10 hutchijw

hutchijw

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

Get away from those dvd's and move over to an HDD or NAS.  I recommend the free version of Veeam Endpoint Backup.  Soon, you will be making routine full images of both your OS partition and Data partition onto your external HD.  It's important though to test your first few backups by actually restoring a folder or two

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,527 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:04 PM

For years I used DVD-RWs for my Windows for Workgroups 3.11 - Windows 95-98SE; switched to usb ext HDs because one day during an attempted restore, disk 2 of 4 had a read error that stopped the restore.  Thankfully, I had a 2nd set of DVD-RWs that worked.  In all fairness, much later did I find out that a single read error does end a restore, most if not all backup/restore programs can be "told" to ignore a read error and keep restoring.  Sikntired, like Scotty of the Enterprise, I miss those old engines [DVD-RWs].

Edited by RolandJS, 23 January 2017 - 03:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users