Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I assign user files to a secondary drive?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:48 AM

I'm putting together a new computer and I will be using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit for an OS. The computer will have a 250 GB SSD for the "C" drive, and a 500 GB HDD for the "D" drive. I want to install the OS and programs on the "C" drive and put all of the user info on the "D" drive. I will be setting it up with one account that is an Administrator, and two accounts that are Users. When Windows normally sets up these accounts, it seems to automatically put them on the "C" drive and it also creates folders for My Documents, My Music, My Photos, etc. on the "C" drive. Is there a way to configure windows to created the Administrator and User accounts and data folders on the "D" drive by default?

Thanks...!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:55 AM

I don't know...but there is no reason fool around with the Windows configuration,  Google reflects http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18629-user-folders-change-default-location.html .

Any data files can simply be moved to another location...anytime that you desire.  Just because a file initially may be reflected in My Docs, etc...is no reason for it to permanently remain there.

Louis

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:46 AM

Thanks, Louis. I believe that the link that you provided will give me the information that I need.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:12 PM

another Windows 7 forum topic - Change Default Locations [a few drawbacks given]

answers.microsoft.com topic - "...Move User Profile folders to D:\users" brings up a few warnings

I can't post the links for some reason, however, Warthog-Fan may want to know the possible problems of moving user profile folders.  Many software installations will be looking for default AppData Local, Roaming, Locallow on C.  And, any major reBuild or repair will very likely place all user folder defaults back to C.

Edited by RolandJS, 26 October 2015 - 12:13 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:18 PM

You may also want to take a look on how Windows 7 libraries function.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10283/understanding-the-libraries-feature-in-windows-7/

http://lifehacker.com/5464350/get-to-know-windows-7-libraries-inside-and-out

#6 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:38 PM

Roland & John,

Thanks for this extra info. I'll review all of the information that is referenced here and I'll at least be more knowledgeable when I'm done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users