Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi Issue - reboot once to get WiFi evey time

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 akwe-xavante

akwe-xavante

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:13 AM

Hoping someone can help.

Win10 Laptop, upgrade from Win7.

Every time I fire up my laptop without exception I cannot connect to the internet via WiFi.

Power settings are High Performance and the operating system doesn't switch off anything to save power. I never hibernate or allow sleep. It's either on or off.

The device and its drivers appear to be good, a list of nearby networks are displayed for me to connect to. On attempting to manually connect I get a message "Cannot Connect at this time"

If I then reboot the laptop it successfully connects to my WiFi network automatically without delay or errors and continues to maintain a connection.

When I shutdown the laptop I have the same problem when it is started, I have to restart it.

This same problem occurs with three different wireless networks I have access to.

Switching off the wireless adapter and back on again doesn't work. Switching off the router and back on again doesn't work, I have to reboot the laptop every time.

On all three routers the routers give the laptop a static IP address. The routers give me a different IP address though.

Any thoughts or ideas as to how to resolve this issue.

Edited by akwe-xavante, 26 October 2015 - 08:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:17 AM

I know that you said "the device and its drivers appear to be good," but have you gone to your computer's manufacturer's website to see if there is an updated device driver for your wireless card?

Given what you describe the first thing I'd suspect is that there is some peculiar incompatibility between the existing driver and Win10 that doesn't make it fail fully but makes its behavior erratic (even if the way it's erratic is solidly consistent as you're describing).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 akwe-xavante

akwe-xavante
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:21 AM

I have all the latest drivers from the manufacturers website, I've tried to use older drivers and Microsoft's driver, they all work OK but only after a reboot after starting.

Never had any issues with Win7.

On running the command "ipconfig /all" I get "Media Disconnected" for the WiFi adapter

Edited by akwe-xavante, 26 October 2015 - 09:28 AM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:33 AM

You may want to try doing a "Reset" install on Win10 with the "Keep my files" option.  This has been discussed at length in several other threads and appears to often solve some of these more peculiar problems.

It's easy enough to do and is part of the "Recovery" options of the Update & Security Settings:

[attachment=172126:Update&Security-Recovery2.jpg]

Edited by britechguy, 26 October 2015 - 09:34 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 akwe-xavante

akwe-xavante
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:41 AM

I'm aware and know how to do this but firstly wish to explore all other possible solutions first.

Just tried something.........

I just shut down the laptop and after a couple of minutes started it on the same network, this is something I would very rarely do if at all and I got a connection automatically.

I'll try this again later and then leave it and try to connect to another network tomorrow and try the same thing again.

Edited by akwe-xavante, 26 October 2015 - 09:56 AM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:58 AM

You're one of the relatively rare posters who appears to have exhausted exploration of all of "the usual suspects" before posting.

It will be interesting to see if anyone has something else to add to that suspect list.

If nothing appears in fairly short order then you can pretty much assume that you've explored all the known possible options.

Good luck.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 niftygeek

niftygeek

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:21 PM

I've seen free antivirus do something similar in the past to a win7 computer, though it was more directly related to resuming from hibernation.  AVG I believe.  Link scanner, maybe?  There was a checkbox in the adapter properties that I unchecked (which clearly showed it to be an AVG scanning service of some sort) and hibernation was no longer a problem for the network adapter.  May be a longshot but worth a look at the adapter properties for any third party elements that might be interfering.  I'd be looking for anything antivirus or 3rd party vpn related.

Also, I'd give lspfix a chance.  While I've only needed to use it when there is a connection to wireless at the media level but not at the networking level (no dhcp or static tcip/ip joy), there is a slim chance there is something in the provider stack that is gunking up the works.  lspfix is a very old utility that still saves my butt from time to time - typically after removing a spyware infection that had it's fingers in the provider stack.  The site to download it from looks like it was made in the 90's, but it's legit.  http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Another idea would be to remove the device and let the OS redetect it.

Good luck man.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 05:05 PM

Posting over in the Networking forums may get you a fresh view on this from the networking experts:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/21/networking/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users