Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black logon screen w/movable mouse pointer after failed system restore

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:32 AM

Thanks, I tried this before and it couldn't find any problems, but something seems to have changed, when I try Startup Repair it now says "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically".

Problem signature:
Problem Event name : StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 30
Problem Signature 05: ExternalMedia
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: NoOsInstalled
POS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1041

When I try to send the info to Microsoft I get "If you have recently attached a device to this computer, such as a camera or portable music player, remove it and restart your computer. If you continue to see this message, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance."

but of course no such devices are attached.

Edited by hamluis, 25 November 2015 - 01:05 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:45 AM

You do not need to quote my posts.

Go back to step 7 where you see the System Recovery options and select Command Prompt.

When the command prompt opens type ins sfc /scannow, then press Enter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#33 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for the response. sfc /scannow still gives me "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again."

#34 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:23 AM

Can you boot into the Advanced Boot Options?

This is where the Safe Mode options is found.  You access this by pressing the power button and immediately start tapping the F8 key till you see a screen similar to the one below.

abow7_zps2646149a.png 

Use the up or down key to move the mouse pointer over Safe Mode, the press Enter to select the option.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#35 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:14 AM

Thanks again for your response. I did try Safe Mode before (see 1st post in thread), but all 3 versions of Safe Mode still result in a black logon screen when I tried them again just now. Strangely, "Repair Your Computer" appeared before in this menu, but now it no longer appears. "Safe Mode" is now the first selectable option.

#36 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:16 AM

Thanks for the response.

Because no body so far ask you if you can or not star Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys i will assume Task Manager cannot be started

Correct, nothing happens when I press Ctrl + Shift + Esc or Ctrl + Alt + Delete on the black logon screen.

and now on my instructions should be followed from System Recovery Options. Start your computer with Windows 7 Setup DVD. Select your language preferences and click on Next. Select Repair your computer and press Enter. Select which operating system you want to repair and the click on Next. Start the Command Prompt and type Regedit.exe press Enter key. From registry editor select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and from menu bar click File --> Load Hive.. navigate to C:\Windows\System32\config and select Software hive temporary name must given to a registry key where register hive will be loaded you can name it as TEMP or any other name you want. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHİNE\TEMP\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Hmm, I couldn't find this directory, so I assume you meant HKEY_LOCAL_MACHİNE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon . Please LMK if I'm mistaken.

on the right pane make sure Shell value data is explorer.exe if its not double click Shell value and change the value data to explorer.exe also Userinit value data needs to be set to C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe, value data. After you finnish select Temp folder and from menu bar click File --> Unload Hive.. and restart your computer to installed Windows 7 to find out if the issue has been resolved.

OK,Shell was set to cmd.exe /k start cmd.exe for some reason, so I changed it and Userinit as you instructed. But unfortunately, I'm still getting the black logon screen.

When you load SOFTWARE hive you will be prompt to enter temporary name for loaded SOFTWARE hive name it as TEMP and then navigate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHİNE\TEMP\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon. Follow my instructions to correct Shell value data and Userinit value data.

Posted Image

#37 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:54 AM

When you load SOFTWARE hive you will be prompt to enter temporary name for loaded SOFTWARE hive name it as TEMP and then navigate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHİNE\TEMP\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon. Follow my instructions to correct Shell value data and Userinit value data.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Hmm, I still don't see a HKEY_LOCAL_MACHİNE\TEMP\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon directory, but I do see HKEY_LOCAL_MACHİNE\TEMP\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon, is that correct? If so, the Shell value data and Userinit value data were already set to the correct values.

#38 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:57 AM

In the Advanced  Boot Options try using the Last Known Good Configuration.

#39 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:36 AM

Thanks, but I've already tried Last Known Good Configuration multiple times.

Given that I can't log in to Windows, is it possible to upgrade to Windows 10 with my programs and settings intact? Or is only a clean install possible?

#40 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:58 AM

You do not want to upgrade to anything if the Windows operating system is having problems.  This will only exacerbate the problem creating a larger problem.  If you are considering upgrading to Windows 10 I would suggest backing up all of your important data to removable media (external hdd, flash drives, DVDs, etc.).  I would suggest using a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke to overwrite the entire SSD, then reinstall Windows 7.  Once you do that you will need to go through close to three hundred updates.  Then you should be ready to upgrade to Windows 10.

Personally... I will hold off on upgrading to Windows 10 until manufacturers produce drivers which will work with Windows 10, and Microsoft gets the bugs worked out in this operating system. 

#41 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:15 AM

Ok, thanks. I'd only upgrade to Windows 10 if it would solve my black logon screen problem, one of my friends thought it would help.

So I won't upgrade now. Please let me know if there's anything more I can try.

#42 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:10 AM

I'm one of those that will only suggest reinstalling the operating system if it looks like there are no other reasonable options.  But in this case I believe that this would be a viable option.  If you have all of your important data backed up I would suggest a reinstall since it looks like we are running out of options.

#43 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:40 PM

Thanks for getting back to me.

Hmm, I still don't see a HKEY_LOCAL_MACHİNE\TEMP\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon directory, but I do see HKEY_LOCAL_MACHİNE\TEMP\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon, is that correct? If so, the Shell value data and Userinit value data were already set to the correct values.

Yes its correct my fault i forget SOFTWARE hive folder is rename to TEMP, correct path is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHİNE\TEMP\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

Posted Image

#44 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:35 AM

Here's my CBS log if it will offer any clues.

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.log   88.32KB   2 downloads

Edited by jd213, 29 November 2015 - 11:36 AM.

#45 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:07 AM

So I'm pretty much at the point where I'd consider throwing money at this problem (if I had more free time I'd consider a clean install).

Microsoft Japan of course no longer provides free support for Windows 7, but Windows Premier Support is about $80 for solving a single problem, and $130 for a year. 

Unless anyone has any other suggestions...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users