Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black logon screen w/movable mouse pointer after failed system restore

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:32 PM

My apologies...dc3 did post the instructions for Startup Repair, while I thought that he was posting the following.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Sorry for the confusion.

Louis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:00 PM

Yeah, I'd be willing to do a Repair Install, but I guess Microsoft made it so it's not possible for people like me who can't log in to Windows.

#18 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:03 AM

Let's try one more command.

bootrec /rebuildbcd

If this doesn't work try doing a System File Check.  The command for this is sfc /scannow.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#19 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for getting back to me.

Hmm, when I first did  bootrec /rebuildbcd the result was "Total identified Windows installations: 0", so I used the commands listed toward the end of this page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927392

Then it identified C:\Windows and asked if I wanted to add it too the boot list.  I selected Yes, then it said the operation completed succesfully.

I rebooted, and got the black logon screen again.

I then went back to the Systsem Recovery Options, and a Window popped up saying (the text in quotes from here on is my own translations, couldn't find an example of this screen in English on Google) that "A problem was found with the startup options. Apply a fix and restart the computer?" Then when I clicked on "Show details", it said

------start-------

Fix details:

The following startup option was added:

Name: Windows Recovery Environment (recovered)

Path: Recovery\d3bc0654-e879-11e1-a051-c7a6c630fe3e\Winre.wim

Windows device: Partition =C: (244196 MB)

A copy of the current boot configuration data is saved as follows: C:\Boot\BCD.Backup.0003

-----end------

Then I clicked on "Fix and restart", it restarted, I didn't press anything at the bios screen, and the PC booted with the "Windows did not shut down correctly" screen giving me the option of the three safe modes and "Start Windows normally".  I chose to start Windows normally, and it gave me the black logon screen again.

I restarted and went back to the system recovery options, and this time the above window did not appear.

I'll try sfc /scannow tomorrow, it's 2 AM for me now.  Thanks again.

Edited by jd213, 28 October 2015 - 12:13 PM.

#20 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 12:54 PM

Didn't have time to work on my PC tonight, and I probably won't be able to do anything much with it until mid-November or so.  Will post again once I've had the change to try sfc /scannow.  Thanks again.

#21 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 04:09 AM

Sorry for the delay. I tried sfc /scannow again. Still got "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again." when entering sfc /scannow as-is. I then confirmed the drive letters for Windows an my optical drive, then tried sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=i:\ but I got the error “Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service”.
I Googled this error and found this page: http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/windows-tips-tutorials-articles/36372-there-system-repair-pending-requires-reboot-complete.html and the advice to rename c:\Windows\WinSxS\pending.xml, but such a file doesn't exist in my PC. reboot.xml and poqexec.log and 13000+ directories are all that's in c:\Windows\WinSxS.

Then I tried dism /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions as shown on https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-vista-or-7.html and got a “The operation completed successfully” result, but I'm still getting the black logon screen after restarting.

I then tried sfc /scannow and sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=i:\ again, but got the same errors as before.

Edited by jd213, 22 November 2015 - 04:10 AM.

#22 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:07 PM

Because no body so far ask you if you can or not star Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys i will assume Task Manager cannot be started and now on my instructions should be followed from System Recovery Options. Start your computer with Windows 7 Setup DVD. Select your language preferences and click on Next. Select Repair your computer and press Enter. Select which operating system you want to repair and the click on Next. Start the Command Prompt and type Regedit.exe press Enter key. From registry editor select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and from menu bar click File --> Load Hive.. navigate to C:\Windows\System32\config and select Software hive temporary name must given to a registry key where register hive will be loaded you can name it as TEMP or any other name you want. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHİNE\TEMP\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon on the right pane make sure Shell value data is explorer.exe if its not double click Shell value and change the value data to explorer.exe also Userinit value data needs to be set to C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe, value data. After you finnish select Temp folder and from menu bar click File --> Unload Hive.. and restart your computer to installed Windows 7 to find out if the issue has been resolved.

Edited by FreeBooter, 22 November 2015 - 02:11 PM.

Posted Image

#23 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:58 AM

Thanks for the response.

Because no body so far ask you if you can or not star Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys i will assume Task Manager cannot be started

Correct, nothing happens when I press Ctrl + Shift + Esc or Ctrl + Alt + Delete on the black logon screen.

and now on my instructions should be followed from System Recovery Options. Start your computer with Windows 7 Setup DVD. Select your language preferences and click on Next. Select Repair your computer and press Enter. Select which operating system you want to repair and the click on Next. Start the Command Prompt and type Regedit.exe press Enter key. From registry editor select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and from menu bar click File --> Load Hive.. navigate to C:\Windows\System32\config and select Software hive temporary name must given to a registry key where register hive will be loaded you can name it as TEMP or any other name you want. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHİNE\TEMP\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Hmm, I couldn't find this directory, so I assume you meant HKEY_LOCAL_MACHİNE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon . Please LMK if I'm mistaken.

on the right pane make sure Shell value data is explorer.exe if its not double click Shell value and change the value data to explorer.exe also Userinit value data needs to be set to C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe, value data. After you finnish select Temp folder and from menu bar click File --> Unload Hive.. and restart your computer to installed Windows 7 to find out if the issue has been resolved.

OK,Shell was set to cmd.exe /k start cmd.exe for some reason, so I changed it and Userinit as you instructed. But unfortunately, I'm still getting the black logon screen.

Edited by jd213, 23 November 2015 - 02:00 AM.

#24 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:29 PM

What I would recommend at this point is to

1.  Get another hard drive and load windows on it

2.  Attach your original hard drive as a 2nd hard drive and grab any data you need off of it

If you have no data that's critical to grab off the old hard drive, then just go ahead and do a clean install of Windows on the original hard drive.   

#25 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:14 PM

What I would recommend at this point is to

1.  Get another hard drive and load windows on it

2.  Attach your original hard drive as a 2nd hard drive and grab any data you need off of it

If you have no data that's critical to grab off the old hard drive, then just go ahead and do a clean install of Windows on the original hard drive.   

I'd honestly rather not do that, it would take me a long time to get all my applications re-installed and all my settings re-done.

I at least want to get sfc /scannow working before I give up...

Edited by jd213, 23 November 2015 - 09:21 PM.

#26 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:00 PM

Sometimes a corrupt event log will result in a black screen of death.

At a command prompt using your repair disk type 

CD C:\Windows\system32\winevt

In winevt is the log folder. Type

ren Logs Logsbak

Reboot.

You can also try disabling the event log service by typing the following at a command prompt.

sc config eventlog start= disabled

Reboot

#27 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:25 PM

Good thinking JohnC_21...

Somehow the simplest quickfixes have been missed.  Last Known Good and System Restore.

Last Known Good

1. Press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the black screen appears after the BIOS screen.

2. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration (advanced), and then press Enter.

Works now? If not try System Restore

1. Boot from the Windows 7 install disk
2. After choosing your language, choose the "Repair your computer" option on the "install now" screen
3. When prompted, choose the "System restore" option
4. Choose one of the previous restore points (Choosing the second one is often a good idea)
6. The system will roll back installs to that restore point; reboot only when prompted

Works now?

#28 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:03 AM

Sometimes a corrupt event log will result in a black screen of death.

At a command prompt using your repair disk type 

CD C:\Windows\system32\winevt

In winevt is the log folder. Type

ren Logs Logsbak

Reboot.

Thanks, unfortunately this didn't solve my black logon screen problem.

You can also try disabling the event log service by typing the following at a command prompt.

sc config eventlog start= disabled

Reboot

When I tried this, I get 'sc' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Edited by jd213, 24 November 2015 - 09:05 AM.

#29 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:12 AM

If you built this computer yourself you should have the installation disc, correct?  

If you do have the disc, please do a Repair Installation.  This is a non-destructive process.  The first thing we will try is to use the Startup Repair.

Repair Installation Instructions

Attention:  In order to boot from the installation disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the optical driver is the first device in the boot order, and the HDD/SSD is the second devcice.

1.  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2.  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, do so.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3.  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4.  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5.  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6.  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7.  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8.  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9.  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10.  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#30 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:22 AM

Good thinking JohnC_21...

Somehow the simplest quickfixes have been missed.  Last Known Good and System Restore.

Last Known Good

1. Press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the black screen appears after the BIOS screen.
2. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration (advanced), and then press Enter.

Thanks, I actually did try Last Known Good Configuration (advanced) before. I mentioned it in my first post, but it was a wall of text so it was easy to miss. I tried it again just now, but it still didn't do anything.

Works now? If not try System Restore

1. Boot from the Windows 7 install disk
2. After choosing your language, choose the "Repair your computer" option on the "install now" screen
3. When prompted, choose the "System restore" option
4. Choose one of the previous restore points (Choosing the second one is often a good idea)
6. The system will roll back installs to that restore point; reboot only when prompted

Works now?

Thanks, I tried restoring from a Restore Point before, but they didn't work (see 1st post for details). I tried again just now, but it seems that something I did somewhere in this thread erased the Restore Points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users