Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black logon screen w/movable mouse pointer after failed system restore

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 jd213

jd213

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:31 AM

Hi, hoping I can get some help with Windows 7 Ultimate on a PC I built myself (still have the official install disc), using an Intel chipset mobo with an i7 processor and an SSD for the C drive. I found similar problems by searching the forums, but the fixes in those threads didn’t work or didn’t apply to me.

The version of Windows I have is a Japanese version (32-bit, version 6.1.7601), I first tried posting to Microsoft’s Japanese support forums, but only got one reply and it wasn’t very helpful. So I’ll try and describe/translate my problem as best I can, and will try to Google the English equivalents of any onscreen text.

After a Windows Update, Exact Audio Copy (which I use for my own CDs) would no longer start for some reason.  I first tried reinstalling it, deleting its registry entries, and installing older versions, but it still wouldn’t start, so I then tried to use a Restore Point from before the Windows Update.

But Windows froze during the restore process on a blue screen with flower patterns, so after forcing a shutdown, Windows boots but the logon screen is all black with just a mouse pointer.  Same thing with the various safe modes, Enable Boot Logging, Enable low-resolution video (640x480), Last Known Good Configuration (advanced), Directory Services Restore Mode, and Debugging Mode.  All resulted in a black login screen with movable mouse pointer, so I don’t think it’s a problem with my video card (EVGA GeForce GTX 580).  Did not try "Disable automatic restart on system failure" or "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement".

Tried the Recovery Console, but no problems were found in Startup Repair.

System Restore didn't work, there were three points, the first one was to cancel ("torikeshi" in Japanese) the previous Restore operation (presumably the one where my PC froze), the other two were for Critical Updates from a few days ago. The "Cancel" one and the second "Critical Update" one resulted in the error described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2569601 with error code 0x80070057.  I tried applying the hotfix from Microsoft on that page, but I wasn't able to do so with wusa in the DOS prompt in the recovery console, it gave me a library error or something. The other "Critical Update" restore point gave me the rstrui.exe application error "The instruction at 0x732f8f0a referenced memory at 0x00000004. The memory could not be read".

I tried chkdsk /R, but it didn't seem to find any problems (later did it again in HBCD, and it said "correcting errors in the uppercase file").

Unfortunately I stupidly haven't made any system images for this PC, so can't try System Image Recovery. 

Windows Memory Diagnostic didn’t seem to find any problems.

When I ran

sfc /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=c:\ OFFWINDIR=c:\windows

it resulted in "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

A friend suggested HBCD, so I used that to make a backup image of my C drive, and I ran some HDD tests but didn't find any problems.  Also tried resetting my Windows logon password to see if that would let me login, but I'm still getting the black logon screen.

Then I tried a couple virus scans. Avira didn't work in miniXP, ClamWin worked and I was able to update its definitions before the scan but it didn't find anything. Then I tried GMER but it took all night, I don't think it found anything but it closed as soon as I clicked on "Save", then my mouse stopped responding, then the PC froze when I used the keyboard to select Shut Down.  The PC still boots, but that was the last thing I tried. 

Would greatly appreciate it if I could receive some assistance, but I'm not in any hurry.  Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:02 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:16 AM

Thanks for the fast reply.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.
Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792

I can't actually get to my desktop normally or in safe mode.  Will running these in miniXP through HBCD work?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:46 AM

I'm guessing that since you built this computer you have the Windows installation disk?

If you do, try doing a Repair Installation.  This is nondestructive.

Please note:  In order to boot from the installation disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the DVD drive is the first device and the HDD/SSD is the second device.

Repair Installation Instructions

1.  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2.  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3.  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4.  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5.  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6.  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7.  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8.  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9.  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10.  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Edited by dc3, 26 October 2015 - 10:47 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:50 AM

I'm guessing that since you built this computer you have the Windows installation disk?

If you do, try doing a Repair Installation.  This is nondestructive.

Please note:  In order to boot from the installation disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the DVD drive is the first device and the HDD/SSD is the second device.

Repair Installation Instructions

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, I already tried Startup Repair and it wasn't able to find any problems.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:51 AM

Did you use the installation disc in the manner outlined in the instructions above?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:52 AM

Startup Repair...is not the same thing...as what was suggested.

Please...read the suggestion all the way through.

Louis

#8 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I tried Startup Repair in both the menu reached by pressing F8 upon boot, and Startup Repair using Windows installation disc.

#9 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:04 AM

Startup Repair...is not the same thing...as what was suggested.

Please...read the suggestion all the way through.

Louis

Sorry, didn't mean to appear as if I weren't reading the instructions.  I did use Startup Repair on the Windows installation disc already, sorry I didn't make that clear in my first post.  Please let me know if there's something else I can try.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:28 AM

Using the installation disc go back to the System Recovery Options and select Command Prompt.

When the command prompt opens copy and paste each command one at a time followed by pressing Enter for each command.

Bootrec /Fixboot

Bootrec /Fixmbr

Bootsect /nt60 all /MBR

Reboot your computer.

Edited by dc3, 26 October 2015 - 11:29 AM.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:39 AM

Guys, his Google translate from English to Japanese may not be correctly passing on what you're posting.

I found out page translations can suffer greatly unless it is sentence by sentence. 

Edited by RolandJS, 26 October 2015 - 12:47 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#12 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:57 AM

Using the installation disc go back to the System Recovery Options and select Command Prompt.

When the command prompt opens copy and paste each command one at a time followed by pressing Enter for each command.

Bootrec /Fixboot

Bootrec /Fixmbr

Bootsect /nt60 all /MBR

Reboot your computer.

Thanks, I will try this soon and report back.

#13 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:59 AM

Guys, his Google translate from English to Japanese may not be correctly passing on what you're posting.

I found out page translations can suffer greatly unless it is sentence by sentence. 

Hi,

I'm not actually using Google translate, I'm reading the Japanese text on my PC, then looking up the English Windows equivalents on Google by using error codes or some of the terms that I already know the English translation.  Sorry I didn't make that clearer.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:03 PM

You'r doing quite well.  We have members who's first language it English, and some of these don't communicate as well as you do.

I will only be here for another hour at the most.  I will be out of town for the rest of today and most of tomorrow.

#15 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:28 PM

You'r doing quite well.  We have members who's first language it English, and some of these don't communicate as well as you do.

I will only be here for another hour at the most.  I will be out of town for the rest of today and most of tomorrow.

OK, no problem. I'm in no hurry, and I'll be unable to work on my PC after Friday anyways.

I was able to execute the

Bootrec /Fixboot

Bootrec /Fixmbr

Bootsect /nt60 all /MBR
commands, but it appears that they didn't fix my black logon screen.  Thanks anyways.  I'm going to bed now, but I hope there's still some options left for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users