Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Custom Server Chasis

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RickyHIrwin

RickyHIrwin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:18 PM

I have a computer shop. I have sales of computers and other accessories. I have been planning to begin sales of server cabinets. Can someone tell me what are the things to consider? What kind of metal should be used? How should be the airflow provided?   

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Peter Hart

Peter Hart

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:41 PM

Important points for all of our server room builds for clients when it comes to racks are as follows.

Depth is hugely important due to the bigger 2 and 4 RU servers. The more space we have with depth the more room we have to work around them.

Temp sensor controlled fans is also hugely important as once you fill a rack with cables, switches and servers they can get a lot hotter than many would assume.

Cable Management. Now days we refuse to by any cabinet that does not allow for good vertical cable management as no one likes trying to troubleshoot a spaghetti monster.

2180039413_f54b142ff4_o.jpg

Metal doesn't overly matter as its the racks usually become quite solid and rigid once you have placed a few four corner mountables in them.

You will also need to offer different height racks based on the fact that smaller companies will only need a 900mm high 22RU rack where as others may require a larger 42RU rack to meet their requirements.

I would not recommend carrying stock of these as they are always best to quote on a case by case basis to fit exactly the clients current requirements while allowing for a 5-10 year future proofing(Racks rarely get replaced unlike servers).

Hope this helps.

#3 RickyHIrwin

RickyHIrwin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for the help Peter. I will ask the precision sheet metal parts provider in Toronto to give me a sample piece first and then order in bulk. As you said I will keep it on a case by case basis. For now I have an order from a small firm in Toronto. That's gonna be the first order. I hope it goes well. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users