Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba S55-A5292NR Issues

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 adammg

adammg

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:02 PM

I'm working on a family members laptop and needing opinions. About 6 months ago it wouldn't start-up so they took it to Geek Squad and they removed the CMOS battery, reinserted it and it booted up. About two weeks ago, it started throwing a message to shut it off because it was overheating, I can't get it do it for me. They are also saying the power cord isn't charging the battery, its working perfectly for me. I gave it back to them last week after cleaning up the bloatware, startup items and checking for virus, making sure everything was running fine. Last night after letting the battery die, it wouldn't start up, tried multiple power cords, didn't start. Removed/reinserted CMOS battery, started right up like before. 

Any ideas or suggestions on what it could be? 

The overheating I figured was them running it on their lap or blanket, which they admitted is when they got messages. The not starting back after the battery is dead is the only problem I have seen with it. Would that be a failing charge port?

Edited by adammg, 25 October 2015 - 09:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:10 PM

Was the cmos battery REPLACED at any time...?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Peter Hart

Peter Hart

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:45 PM

If you have a mutimeter and know how to use it safely I would check the power supply is providing charge. If that runs fine try booting up your laptop with the powersupply but without the battery in as occasionally the laptop battery itself is causing the issues. If that works then order a replacement battery. If you still have no luck then the third and final option is to test the charging port. This is one I would NEVER recommend you undertake unless you are experienced in laptop repair as you are dealing with a power component on a device and the last thing you want is an exploding battery.

If you have tried these and have any luck let me know.

#4 adammg

adammg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:27 PM

Condobloke, Yes and no, The old one didn't seem to work, I had to borrow one from my car remote, that's when it booted up. I'm going to drain it to 0 and see if it does it again with the good battery.

Peter Hart I don't have a multimeter.  I did try another Toshiba power supply but didn't help. The battery is built in. I did disconnect it from the motherboard and try to turn it on thinking it kind of work like a bypass, but didn't.  

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:55 PM

Buy a new one....they are cheap. $3.50 AUD.....so probably cheaper where you are.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 Peter Hart

Peter Hart

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:43 AM

Entirely overlooked the CMOS battery part. Yes a replacement CMOS battery should resolve their problems and any local watchmaker should be able to provide a replacement one. The best bet is to remove the old one and take it with you so you make sure you get the right one. Also take note of which side is which when removing it as most should only insert one way however a few laptops go in either way.

#7 adammg

adammg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:12 AM

Ok figured it out. Bought a new battery, still doing the same thing, I've left it on for awhile plugged in and it'll randomly stop charging then start charging again, I can hear it ding in the other room when it does. Its got to be the charge port. When it dies now, the battery light will just blink white even though its plugged in. Sometimes if you unplug it and plug it in multiple times (10x + if lucky)   you'll finally get the orange power light to come on and boot up. Not sure exactly why clearing the cmos helped, maybe it was coincidence or some type of bios setting.

Thanks for the help guys. 

I'm going to back it up for them and give it back, let them decide to send it off or get a new computer. 

Edited by adammg, 26 October 2015 - 10:23 AM.

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:57 PM

Do not use geek squad! There are reports and stories of people taking their computer to geek squad with something as simple as an unplugged cables and geek squad saying thier motherboard was dead and charging $500.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 adammg

adammg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 04:04 PM

Captain Chicken, Yup, that is what they quoted her. I use to work for Geek Squad years ago, don't remember it being that expensive, but they've always been high. Toshiba wants $252 for what they call small repairs  (Ram, replacing HDD or DVD Rom) or $390 for major repairs (Motherboard, Screen replacement). I went ahead and ordered a new DC jack cable from eBay for $6, going to replace it myself. It it turns out to be something more then she'll just buy a new laptop. 

Edited by adammg, 28 October 2015 - 04:09 PM.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 04:12 PM

adammg, see if you can sweet-talk the owners in getting either a used or new external usb cooling assembly [one giant fan or twin fans].  Placed within a TV tray on their lap on the bed, with the laptop on top of the assembly should keep overheating away.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users