I'm working on a family members laptop and needing opinions. About 6 months ago it wouldn't start-up so they took it to Geek Squad and they removed the CMOS battery, reinserted it and it booted up. About two weeks ago, it started throwing a message to shut it off because it was overheating, I can't get it do it for me. They are also saying the power cord isn't charging the battery, its working perfectly for me. I gave it back to them last week after cleaning up the bloatware, startup items and checking for virus, making sure everything was running fine. Last night after letting the battery die, it wouldn't start up, tried multiple power cords, didn't start. Removed/reinserted CMOS battery, started right up like before.
Any ideas or suggestions on what it could be?
The overheating I figured was them running it on their lap or blanket, which they admitted is when they got messages. The not starting back after the battery is dead is the only problem I have seen with it. Would that be a failing charge port?
Edited by adammg, 25 October 2015 - 09:05 PM.