Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Crashes When Playing Video Games and Using Plex

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cpadgett82

cpadgett82

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:52 PM

Hello and thanks in advance. You guys have helped me before. I hope I'm posting in the right place. Recently, my computer started to crash while playing video games. I built this computer several years ago, and it's been working great for most of that time (minus the memory issue that you guys helped me with before). Occasionally, it would crash when we used it to run Plex, watching the movies on the Roku 3 player. However, it didn't happen often.

Last month, I started playing Farcry 4, and that's when I really stared to have problems. About halfway through the game, it started to freeze randomly and send me back to the desktop (usually the desktop would be frozen up as well), but I could hit Cntrl + Alt + Del to shut down the unresponsive game. Toward the end of the game this started to happen more and more frequently, but sometimes I could continue to play for long periods of time with no problem. I thought it was that particular game. I have others, and didn't experience problems with them, but I haven't played the others much recently. I actually finished the game somehow, and was happy to delete it.

Next, I installed Max Payne 3, but I was having the same issue with that one. In fact, I could barely play for a minute or two without a crash. Only this time, my monitor is saying that it's lost HDMI signal, and the computer freezes up to the point that I have to hold down the power button to turn it off. I deleted that game, and tried one that had worked fine previously (Dying Light). I'm getting the exact problem with that one. Sometimes I get booted back to the desktop, sometimes the screen goes black and the computer freezes. I started thinking my video card could be taking a crap. I have had it overclocked, so I decided to return the setting to the default clock speeds. It didn't make any difference. I also updated my drivers, but again, nothing changed.

I'm worried that my video card is to blame. It was expensive, and I've only had it for a couple of years. Regardless, I'm out of my league on this one, and I could really use some help. Help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:59 PM

Hello there, 

Perhaps the problem comes from your desktop casing/fans setup itself? Maybe they overheat and that causes the machine to freeze/crash? Or the card is not good enough for your heavy games and needs to be upgraded.

Hope this helps! 

#3 cpadgett82

cpadgett82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 06:45 PM

I'm not sure if the casing or fans are the issue. Just that I've been using this computer since I built it in 2013, and I'm just now having problems with it. The card is an MSI GTX 780 OC Gamming, and the crashes are happening on older games as well as the new ones.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 03:35 AM

Dust accumulates slowly and can cause overheating.

Try this free temperature monitor:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

If it's overheating, try blowing it out with some canned air (DO NOT USE a vaccum or an air compressor as it can damage the system).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 cpadgett82

cpadgett82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:13 AM

I will try the temperature monitor. I hope it logs temperatures, because the computer will need a hard restart from a frozen state if I try to recreate the problem.

I should also mention that I disabled Aero in Windows, because I read somewhere that it helped some people with similar problems. It didn't fix the problem, but now the computer is crashing consistently AFTER I exit back to the desktop. To be clear, once I return to the desktop, the computer freezes up after about 5-10 seconds. This happened randomly once or twice before I switched from Aero to Basic, but now I'm going to the desktop before the crash consistently. Maybe that will help to narrow it down.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 05:13 PM

The temps are the most likely problem - but aren't the only possibility.

In the world of gaming, a few years means that your stuff is old.

The card can be dying, or it could be a problem with the drivers.

Try these free tests to see if that helps to narrow things down:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Run the video tests first.

Also, try updating the video drivers from the video driver chipset manufacturer's webpage (nVidia or AMD)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 cpadgett82

cpadgett82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:33 PM

There was little to no dust on the card or anything else. My cabinet uses filters. I ran Memtest+ and some other diagnostics before I saw your link to carrona.org. Nothing gave a red flag. I reinstalled windows, fresh drivers, fresh game installation, etc.... Nothing changed. I popped in an older video card, and the problem stopped. I was reluctant to try this, because the old card is much less powerful and less demanding on the system, so I knew it wouldn't necessarily rule out something else being the culprit - like the PSU. It could be something else, but I feel like the video card is the problem. I RMA'd it, and I'll let you know if the system is still working properly after I re-install it (or whatever else they send me back).

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for letting us know.

I suspect that you're correct and that the RMA'd video card will fix things.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users