Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All wifi connections suddenly lost

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 asbradford

asbradford

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:18 PM

Hi all, created an account just to post this, it's driving me insane.

I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7 a few months ago, but unlike other users with this problem, my wifi started working perfectly fine. This was still the case this morning, but after I came out the shower, suddenly all my wifi connections were lost. It's a similar situation to that described here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584747/losing-internet-connection-after-installing-windows-10/, except obviously it didn't occur right after the upgrade. It's annoying that I missed exactly what happened, but oh well.

I have tried seemingly everything, including endless restarts and resetting the router, and I know it's definitely not a problem with the wifi since I'm typing this on another device on exactly the same network. One of the solutions I found was to go to the Power Management tab in configurations of the wireless device, and uncheck "allow the computer to turn this off to save power" - I found it was checked, so I unchecked it, but it still hasn't made any difference.

Initially, the wifi icon changed to an unplugged symbol with a yellow exclamation mark, but after uninstalling Hamachi, it's changed to the usual icon you get when wifi connections are available (wifi symbol with asterisk). However, the problem's been exactly the same.

I have a Dell Studio 1555, which admittedly is quite an old machine, but it was fine until now. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,858 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:23 PM

G'day asbradford, and Wlecome to BC

Have you gone to device manager, expanded the network adapter, right click on the adapter, select uninstall, and then reboot ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 asbradford

asbradford
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:27 PM

Hi condobloke, thanks (also, don't know if you're a rugby fan but great win for the Wallabies over Argentina today!)

Yes, I've done that. No success yet.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,858 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:34 PM

Up the Wallabies !!

work calls....later.

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,858 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 06:24 PM

Follow these Instructions   

let me know if that achieves success

#6 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:00 PM

A few things to try just in case.

A simple thing,re enable the wifi on the computer (often f 2 key or however its done on your system) (some computers have a slide switch on the side to disable or enable wifi and they can be accidentally turned off) sounds daft but it sometimes gets occidentally turned of and no one notices.

Maybe also turn the router off completely for 60 seconds not just reset it.

Disable the wireless card,restart the PC then re enable the wireless card,then try to connect.

Edited by Wolverine 7, 26 October 2015 - 06:48 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:59 AM

This is the first thing that I try at work.  I works often enough that it's the first thing that I try :0)

Open up an Admin (Run as Administrator) Command Prompt. (Press the "Win" key and the "X" key at the same time, when the menu opens in the lower left corner of the screen press the "A" key)

Type the following commands, pressing Enter after each one:

netsh int tcp reset

netsh int ip reset

netsh winsock reset

And then reboot the system

Then check to see if it works.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 asbradford

asbradford
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, but sadly nothing worked - when I tried to roll back the driver, the option was greyed out, and the command prompts didn't work either.

Interestingly when I booted it up this time, and tried to connect to wifi, it asked me for the security key which it didn't do yesterday. But the problem's still the same as far as I can tell.

#9 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:52 PM

Doesnt soung to hopefull,must be iether hardware issue or your looking at a re install.

Push to shove a re install isnt so bad,just put the iso for your system version on a usb and back up the stuff you want to keep.

Anyway good luck,hope something works for you.

#10 asbradford

asbradford
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:54 PM

Yeah, my stepdad has worked with computers for 20 years and he's in a very senior position in the IT department of British Telecom, so I'll get him to have a look at the weekend. I'll still try and see if I can make any progress until then.

#11 Gyrlander

Gyrlander

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:25 PM

Hello! I think I'm having a similar problem. Can you test if you get internet via Ethernet?

#12 asbradford

asbradford
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:39 PM

Ok, I finally found a solution to this.

After checking the wifi driver numerous times, and seeing nothing wrong, I decided to google my laptop model and see if I could find anything on the specific driver. Turns out the driver isn't supported by Windows 10. This still doesn't explain why it was working before, but I've now ordered a new network driver anyway which should get it working (based on what I've read).

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:00 AM

Just because a driver isn't supported by W10, doesn't mean it won't work.
There are varying degrees of compatibility.

In most cases we see that a driver used to work, then an update (Windows or another program) caused it to stop working.

The reason here was that the original version didn't impact the particular routine that made the driver incompatible.

It wasn't until an update came along (that "tripped" the incompatibility), that the incompatibility was revealed.

Lot's of issues are seen with WiFi drivers - there's even a fix addressing it in this free program (I haven't tried it myself):  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fixwin-for-windows-10

Depending on the version of the wireless device, you may be able to locate a W10 driver on another site.

Please let us know the Hardware ID for your wireless card.  To do this, open up Device Manager, expand the Network Adapters category, right click on the wifi adapter.

Then select "Properties", then select the Details tab, then select the "Property" dropdown  and select "Hardware IDs

Edited by usasma, 10 November 2015 - 10:01 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 asbradford

asbradford
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:37 PM

Ah thanks. I guess that's what happened when I was in the shower then. The network card was quite cheap anyway so if it works I'll keep it, but if not i'll try that fix you suggested.
Ah thanks. I guess that's what happened when I was in the shower then. The network card was quite cheap anyway so if it works I'll keep it, but if not i'll try that fix you suggested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users