Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer running windows 10 running slow at everything

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 steelersutah

steelersutah

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:19 PM

My computer I bought used. I cleared everything on it and upgraded it to windows 10 but it is very slow at everything. it boots up ok but slow at responding on opening any programs, browsing the internet, even to the click of the mouse. here are the specs on the computer, please help. Thanks you very much!

gateway zx4250

windows 10 home

amd e-3000 apu with radeon hd graphics with 1.3 ghz

6gb ram (5.75gb usable)

64 bit operating system, x64 based processor

thanks again for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1029rjmenvy17t

1029rjmenvy17t

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:26 PM

Hello,

Well the first problem is the processor it is very slow and old too; so I would try to disable all start up items and try to look for anything that could slow your PC down.

If your using Google Chrome try to get rid of useless add on’s that might slow the PC down when trying to load sites: Same thing for IE 11 Try to get rid of any toolbars that might slow your browser down.

Third​ thing is to invest in a Solid Slate Drive which would make the PC faster however the processor might not be able to handle it.

And I' am not sure about upgrading processors since I have never upgraded a processor however maybe somebody here could give you some advice on that.

But for now I would just try to disable start up items and toolbars and stuff that will cause it to be any slower.

#3 steelersutah

steelersutah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:29 PM

i agree that the processor is old but i have older computers running windows 10 and they are not slow. i dont have a problem with boot up, its pretty fast booting up. just very slow at opening up programs and surfing the net. the computer is very clean and has no usless programs right now.

Edited by steelersutah, 25 October 2015 - 05:30 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:52 AM

This tends to look similar to many other problems that we've seen with W10 being installed on well-used systems.

There's a couple of things to try:
1)  Run the following command in a Powershell window that's run as an Administrator in order to re-register the Windows Store apps:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
From this article:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/re-register-windows-store-apps
Be sure that Edge is closed (in Task Manager).  Cortana will spit an error as it's still running - don't worry about that for now.

2)  Uninstall your antivirus, then use the removal tool for it (there's a list of most of them here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html ), then install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version.  Some A/V have difficulties with the upgrade, so removing them and then reinstalling them will help how they run.

3)  Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio and video drivers for your system.  Then uninstall the current versions from your system.  Then install the freshly downloaded versions.

4)  Get ALL available Windows Updates

5)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website.  If some aren't compatible w/W10, check here about uninstalling them.

6)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software that you installed previously.  If they aren't compatible, please uninstall them.

If this doesn't fix things, then post back so we can discuss the following options:
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS (both at less than 30 days, and at more than 30 days since initial update)
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10 (only needed if a clean install of W10 fails)
- W10 clean install
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 1029rjmenvy17t

1029rjmenvy17t

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:52 AM

Hello steelersutah

I agree with usasma he's got a lot of good stuff I would go with him as I' am not to good with speeding up older PC's except for what I have said about toolbars;

He has some really good stuff to do

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:30 PM

I know on mine when 10 first installed it was like you described quick to boot but was slow to respond. Someone posted that it was because the system was learning my habits and re-indexing things.

All I know is it responds a lot quicker now for a little while now.  I seldom see the blue whirly gig thing while waiting for some program to load and run.

May not be your issue at all and this was a new unused system.  How ever it only just met minimum system requirements to run Win 10 at all.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#7 steelersutah

steelersutah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:40 PM

thank you for all the replies, I really appreciate them. Thanks again 1029.

Usa, I will do those things you said. I will let you know how it goes.

again, thank you all for your help

#8 loginandrepair

loginandrepair

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:22 PM

I would also check the hard drive since its a used pc, good luck.

#9 wjlesaulnier

wjlesaulnier

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 03:16 PM

Look in task manager to see whats using the most CPU percent. May give a clue. At first, Win 10 does a lot of indexing and background updates which can slow things down but things speed up when most of these tasks are complete. Win 10 has been shown to be very slightly faster than Win 7 on most tasks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users