Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen At Shut Down

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LiftKitGuru

LiftKitGuru

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 01:44 PM

Every time I try to shut down my computer, It says install updates than shut down. If I press OK, it will act like it's installing them then instead of shutting down all the way go to a blue screen. I then have to hit the power button to turn it off all the way.

Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 01:54 PM

The 'Blue Screen of Death' (or BSOD) is refered to by Microsoft as a Stop Message. They can occur for many reasons. In order to diagnose it's cause we need as much info as you can give about the stop message. Please write it down and post it back here the next time it happens. In particular, it helps to have the somewhat cryptic series of numbers about half way down the blue screen that have this sort of format:

0x0000008E (Followed by four other sets of numbers in parenthesis.)

It is also helpful to know the answers to these questions:
  • What are you doing when this happens (are you on line, starting the computer, etc).
  • Does it always happen at the same time?
  • Is it always the same message, or is it a different set of numbers each time?
  • Have you added any hardware or software lately?
  • Are you experiencing any other buggy behavior from this computer (such as it runs slower than it used to, etc)?

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 LiftKitGuru

LiftKitGuru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 02:34 PM

I don't think this is the same thing. There are no error messages it is giving me. It never happens unless I shut down my computer then it closes everything, starts installing updates & then instead of turning off, the screen goes completely blue with no messages on it.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 03:34 PM

Updates for what?

Windows updates? Anti-virus or anti-malware updates?

Have you installed all the Windows Updates including SP2 and those following it?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:18 AM

Shutdown troubleshooting resources:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...el_02may13.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn.../c29621675.mspx (down near the bottom of the page)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308029/en-us
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 LiftKitGuru

LiftKitGuru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:14 PM

Thank you for your responses. I am still having this issue. I checked the links you suggested but there was not a solution for my issue. Let me explain a little better.

When I go to START then SHUT DOWN, the little "Shut down Windows" box appears and is automatically on "install updates and shut down". If I continue it will close programs and start to shut down, but when it gets to the point where the computer should turn off all I see is a blue screen with no messages on it.

When I start the computer back up it acts like the updates were not installed and wants to install them again at shut down.

I have windows XP Pro 2002 version w/service pk 2.

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:11 PM

You don't indicate how long you wait when you see the blue screen. Depending upon what updates are being installed it could take quite a while. Perhaps your computer is working 'normally' and you are shutting it down too early.

One way to be sure is to install the updates manually, don't do it at shutdown.

Start the computer, go to: Start > All Programs > Windows Update (near the top of the list).

This will take you to the Microsoft update page. Choose Express Install and accept all updates it will give you. After downloading and installing updates, repeat the procedure as many times as needed until you get the message that there are no more updates.

OR, you could just shut down the computer like you have been and wait. I would wait for many minutes. Again, it depends upon what updates they are sending you. I just updated a computer and it took about 20 minutes or so for this batch of updates to completely download and install, and I would bet if I didn't have a high speed connection it would have taken much longer.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:24 PM

OR, you could just shut down the computer like you have been and wait. I would wait for many minutes. Again, it depends upon what updates they are sending you.

and what kind of internet connection you have. If it's dial-up - instead of minutes, make that HOURS. [Computer tied up for the rest of the night. Bed time :thumbsup: Imagine having to start all over because your ISP cuts the connection at 2 hours no matter what. I'm glad I got a different ISP.]

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:14 PM

This may help, I don't know:

I just shut down a computer at the Public Library before closing: Standard Operating Procedure with these particular computers.

I went to start, then log-off. Then to Start and Shut-down.

The Shut-down button in the window that comes up had a little shield on it about windows updates installing (I think it was installing anyway). Windows proceeded to shut down, then the screen went plain blue and then within about a minute or two, there was the Windows logo with the four colored flag thingy and underneath it white text that said "Installing Update 1 of 8" (I think it was installing - it may have been downloading). The rest of the screen was blue. Then the text changed to: "Please do not unplug or shut down the computer. The computer will shut down automatically" Then it went back to the text with a progress report on the updates. It kept switching back and forth like that. It was on update 4 of 8 when I left.

How long have you waited before hitting the shut-off button? I think that if there were more programs to unload, that the time lapse between when the plain blue screen appeared and the windows logo came up would be longer, maybe up to three minutes or so - and I had also already logged off which had unloaded some programs already.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users