Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU fan running loud after update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BuzzChamber

BuzzChamber

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:11 AM

A few weeks ago I noticed the fan on my graphics card (XFX Radeon R7 260) running abnormally loud while it was not being used. As soon as I woke the display it slowed back down to normal. Looked into windows updates and sure enough the driver had been updated. I did a rollback and that seemed to work so I payed it no attention. 2 weeks later the same thing happens. Loud fan, windows update, rollback, etc... Unfortunately, this time it did not stop the fan from running while not in use. Power settings on my machine are set to turn off display but never put hard drive to sleep and have always been this way. The speed at which it runs is comparable to when I am gaming so it's not ridiculous but a little annoying considering the machine is not in use. Anyone else seen this or know why it might be happening?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:32 PM

Have you adjusted or manually set any overclocking or speed controls in CC? Do you use any other tools that do that? Maybe a conflict between the two. Lastly, the fan is probably going out. The fan running at low speed may be making louder bearing noise then running higher speeds. Usually it's reversed. Sometimes the fan at higher speeds fails to spin at all or very slowly. All due to a dried up worn out fan bearing. I would pull the side off and set it up on a table and inspect it with a mirror and watch it's behavior. Also try shutting down the system and move the fan with your fingers and see if it spins freely. Blast it with a can of air if you got some. Blow out all the dust bunnies. Extra dirt means it has to work harder to cool thus increase voltage to spin the fan faster.

Edited by technonymous, 25 October 2015 - 12:33 PM.

#3 BuzzChamber

BuzzChamber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:42 PM

Haven't made any adjustments to clocking in CC or used any other tools to do this. Card is fairly new (replaced it just a couple months ago) so I don't think it is going out but I will definitely give it a good cleaning. My concern is that it only happens when the machine is sitting with no activity. There is no doubt in my mind this started with the new driver. I might try beta drivers and see what I get.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:03 PM

AMD's drivers can be problematic I hear ya on that. I still suggest taking a look though and blast it out. Do check with power off how freely the fan spins. Just give it a twilrl with your fingers. If it spins rough or stops fast then that is a fan bearing problem. Do you have any water coolers in your system? Check for leakage. I came across a problem like this and it was a cpu water block dripping down onto the video card. Not good at all!

Edited by technonymous, 25 October 2015 - 01:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users