Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random BSODs on friend's Toshiba Satellite P-70A

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:43 AM

My friend who has a Toshiba Satellite P-70A 01U007 has been experiecing random crashes 4 months after he purchased his laptop from Futureshop (which no longer exists >.>) So he dealt with the problems for about 8 more months before finally getting sick & tired of it and decided to ask me if I could fix it.

So I take it home to look at it and after going through a few diagnosing steps (Run a memtest, run a HDD short and long scan) and both passing without any issues, I decide to reinstall, the laptop went through 3 fresh reinstalls first was a reinstall of windows 8.1, second was an install of windows 7 and thirdly was a install of windows 8, but as you may expect all ended with bad results. 

So after working with some people with no prevail I decided to ask a friend of mine who's a Toshiba expert to see if he can figure out the problem, I got a call yesterday and he said it's been working for 3 days so I'll be picking up tomorrow, so it's a 50/50 chance it works.

So today I decided to see if any other people have had issues with this laptop and I come across a thread on the eightforums, but sadly by the end of the thread it still has the issues and no official solution was found.

Talking in IRC today about this blueelvis suggested that I start up a thread here and post the minidump files I have from the laptop to see (if the problems continue) if there's a solution.

At this very moment I do not have the laptop on hand as said above so if any steps are asked of me to try, I'll have to do them tomorrow or Tuesday.

(quick edit)

Information about the laptop can be found here https://www.toshiba.ca/productdetailpage.aspx?id=2147497227

Attached Files

Edited by Allen, 25 October 2015 - 10:45 AM.

Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:45 AM

Posting Refernce For This Forum

Louis

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:48 AM

Hi there Allen,

Sounds like the laptop is running fine now I guess time will tell. I have a Toshiba myself different model. What seems to be happening is that there is a conflict between MSFT driver updates and Toshiba's updates. These Toshiba laptops have their drivers download tools. It makes things difficult now that WIndows 10 has come out and updates are being pushed heavily. Some updates that come in one day are pulled the next by MSFT. The Best thing to do is to check with theToshiba tool, or Toshiba driver website and update through them often. Looking over the minidump.txt you posted it shows that athwbx.sys (atheros network driver) caused the problem. Again, your friend may have already solved this issue. However, below I will give you list of things that are typically asked for.

1. Download minitoolbox and post the results.

2. Download speccy and publish the link to your post.

3. Include minudumps...%systemroot%\minidump & %localappdata%\crashdumps

4. Model number and serial part number http://support.toshiba.com/sscontent?contentId=4007069

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:07 PM

You may also want to go to MSFT updates settings and disable drivers updates.

#5 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:22 PM

Hi Allen ^_^,

The file attached by you is only a text file. I would need the actual dump file to diagnose the problem. Once you get  back the laptop, let it crash and then follow the instructions posted by Hamluis. Make sure that you don't run CCleaner as it deletes the Dump files.

If there have been problems on all of the three installations, there is a very high chance that this is a hardware problem (I point at you RAM). Once you get back the laptop, I would suggest you to stress test it and then check for problems.

@technonymous - I also have a Toshiba laptop which is 5 years old and is currently running Windows 10. I never had driver problems except once when it was with the Atheros drivers for my Wireless LAN. I don't think that disabling the Driver Updates would be a good idea. I always get the driver updates via Windows Updates since Toshiba did not provide any driver updates for Windows 10 for this model.

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#6 Allen

Allen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:15 PM

Here is the SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip that was asked for.  Could not get the perfmon report because it was being rejected.

(Note this is the 4th reinstall because the third started down right being rude and not working at all...)

Attached Files

Edited by Allen, 30 October 2015 - 05:16 PM.

Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:09 PM

Hi Allen ^_^,

The file attached by you is only a text file. I would need the actual dump file to diagnose the problem. Once you get  back the laptop, let it crash and then follow the instructions posted by Hamluis. Make sure that you don't run CCleaner as it deletes the Dump files.

If there have been problems on all of the three installations, there is a very high chance that this is a hardware problem (I point at you RAM). Once you get back the laptop, I would suggest you to stress test it and then check for problems.

@technonymous - I also have a Toshiba laptop which is 5 years old and is currently running Windows 10. I never had driver problems except once when it was with the Atheros drivers for my Wireless LAN. I don't think that disabling the Driver Updates would be a good idea. I always get the driver updates via Windows Updates since Toshiba did not provide any driver updates for Windows 10 for this model.

-Pranav

If you can't find any drivers then I guess you have no choice. However, not every MSFT generic driver is going to work for every system. I have worked on plenty of systems including my own that was completely hosed in a non working state due to a MSFT driver update. No video, No computer >>>No happy campers. In the Updates options there is a choice to check or uncheck for drivers, that option wouldn't be there if everything was running peachy.

Edited by technonymous, 30 October 2015 - 08:13 PM.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:19 PM

Here is the SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip that was asked for.  Could not get the perfmon report because it was being rejected.

(Note this is the 4th reinstall because the third started down right being rude and not working at all...)

You should follow these steps starting from 3. Perfmon reports. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

Please download speccy and publish a report and post a link. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Please download minitoolbox and post the output http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

Open copy & paste this command into the cmd.exe and run it. Post the results from motherboard_results.txt

wmic baseboard get manufacturer,product,serialnumber,version /format:list > %userprofile%\desktop\motherboard_results.txt

Thanks!

#9 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:15 AM

If you can't find any drivers then I guess you have no choice. However, not every MSFT generic driver is going to work for every system. I have worked on plenty of systems including my own that was completely hosed in a non working state due to a MSFT driver update. No video, No computer >>>No happy campers. In the Updates options there is a choice to check or uncheck for drivers, that option wouldn't be there if everything was running peachy.

There might be occasional hiccups but this doesn't mean that the drivers provided by Windows Update are bad. Not in my case at least.

@Allen - I analysed the dump file provided by you and according to it, there was memory corruption. I checked your list of memory modules and it seems that there are 4 slots :o
I checked the specification of the laptop -
http://www.toshiba.eu/discontinued-products/satellite-p70-a-104/

As per the description, the user can change only 2 slots of RAM. The other 2 slots can only be accessed by the Authorized Service Provider or by opening up the laptop. What brand of the 2 memory sticks are there in the laptop? Any chance you could test the system by removing the 2 RAM sticks which you have installed later on?

Let me know how it goes ^_^

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users