Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 0x8007007e

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Bar

Chris Bar

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:40 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/513138/unable-to-logon-a-problem-is-preventingchecking-license/ - Hamluis.

I have the same problem, and since the proposed fix is shown, thought I would continue the question [since fix cannot be done].

Have been using XP SP2 and installed SP3 several weeks ago.  All was working great, therefore I backed up my work via Ghost....several times.  I did have a problem though that prompted me to restore back to an earlier restore point, several times and different restore points and all worked fine.  

The last time though I thought the problem I was having might be due to SP3, so I restored to a restore point that was created before I installed SP3.  When the computer rebooted, I received the error code above 0x8007007e  Warning states that the license cannot be verified.  I do have the license on the shiny mirrored sticker that is on the box for the original disk.  I can get to the user log in screen [I am the only one who has used this computer since it was new and I have the discs that came with it new] and after logging in, it shows the error code and shuts down.  I cannot get into the computer to even attempt to fix by the suggested fix.  

I really like my old clogger [have a new Macbook Pro but prefer the old MS].  I need help to solve....please.  [If this should be posted new...let me know and I can do that.]

Edited by hamluis, 25 October 2015 - 10:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:24 AM

http://www.updatexp.com/0x8007007E.html

?

#3 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:10 PM

The computer will not open....closes after I click OK...and there is no other option.  If the computer will not start up, I do not know how I can update or change any files...or do anything.   I have the original disks, so is there a way I can get the computer started, and then restore to an earlier date that did not have this problem?  I am stumped on this.

Or if there is a means to get it started, I can either restore if the computer will permit or I can reinstall a Ghost image from an external drive.

Edited by Chris Bar, 26 October 2015 - 12:18 PM.

#4 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:56 PM

So, no one has an idea how to solve this....and I thought it would be a gimme.  I was reluctant to install SP3, so I apparently erred when I changed my mind and decided to install SP3, folks here said it's fine....no problem.  So thanks anyway.  Suggest that MOD close this item.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:17 AM

Well...if you can't boot into Windows...the first thing I would suggest trying is to do a repair install, assuming that you have Windows XP issues.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

I have a hard time envisioning a Windows Update error...as the cause for a system failing to boot...so something seems out of kilter there, IMO.

We don't ordinarily close topics here at BC.

Louis

#6 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:54 AM

I had considered since there was no solution here, to keep open would just take up space.  Though my confidence at knowing what I was doing was low, I used the original discs and have it back to "from the store" condition which works fine.  Having made Ghost backup images, I need to look up here how to install the image [I had posted a how-to long time back and it worked!].  Have tried several times since I renewed the laptop, but instruction manual method does not seem to work  [ I suspect the user ].

Reading the MS info, they noted that the alert can be caused when updating.   In my case, I could not bring the machine up so their fixes were not possible to try.  I had an issue with laptop which is why I restored to SP2 from SP3...which I think is what initiated the problem.  Do not know now if it would be better to go back to SP2 or stay with SP3, which was required to enable use of a 6TB wireless HD according to the manufacture's instructions.  Can always go to SP2, try it and if does not work, then install SP3 which was so easy.  At least for the problem as originally posted, it is resolved...a start at least.  More to do though since the current state works but does not do what the fixed XP software on the laptop would do.  Thanks for the info...will check that out...perhaps it would solve the over all problem as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users