Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All Sorts O' Problems......

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CPU_HDD

CPU_HDD

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:23 AM

The problems started a couple days ago. I needed to burn an ISO to a CD, and Img burn had always been such a nice program. I was a bit worried, but downloaded and installed it from one of the links on the Imgburn site.

The Windows 7 machine had no antivirus software on it (I know, but my worst problems have come with av installed) so I couldn't do a quick AVG scan.

So Im getting bombed with adware. I go to uninstall, and sure enough, a bunch of other stuff is on the machine. I try to uninstall, and the box pops up that says "do you want to allow this to make changes to your computer " comes up. I clicked "yes" at least once. I'm guessing that was a really bad idea?

I downloaded AVG, did a scan, found 11 things.

Last night I downloaded REVOUninstaller to get the other programs off. Even after that and another AVG scsn, I still had issues.

So I found a site about how to get rid of one of the remaining programs, and ran several scans, all of which found stuff on the first pass. Downloaded some off this site, and generally did almost all this:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-playthru-player-ads/

So then I still need a burner, so I tried looking for a good copy of imgburn (I am wondering if it exists.) I went to Softonic, and it said something about problems with imgburn. So I thought something like, "oh good, a reputable site." That's when the problems really started.

I dowloaded the burner they recommended, AVG caught something. I think I tried it again, at one point it wouldn't let the file (.exe?) download, something about permissions, I think?

I think it was after I ran adwcleaner, it took forever to reboot, and I couldn't get on the Internet. Surprise, surprise, since hitman and malwarebytes require internet access. Also, it seemed to change user, to the one with administrative permission, which I don't think I had been using.

I finally used a restore point hitman created, even though it restored malware, to get Internet access. I then re-ran hitman and malwarebytes. I don't think malwarebytes got anything, and I had run it before the restore point.

Was the anti-malware stuff causing problems? I hadn't uninstalled any. But adwcleaner, for one, seems to sit there.

I thought I would run Zemana as recommended, it found suspicious roots.

I uninstalled most of the antivirus/malware, after letting it deal with malware, and the computer rebooted fast.

What now?

Also I downloaded imgburn on a droid, do I need to do something there? Can I plug in usb drives, sd, and cf cards, without infection to the windows machine?

What about usb memory and cards/readers to/from the infected machine and another non Internet machine?

Edited by CPU_HDD, 25 October 2015 - 10:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:46 AM

Do you know that Windows 7 is capable of burning ISOs without using a third party burner?

You can get a copy of ImgBurn without the bundled adware from Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once under the Utilities heading.

Are you still having problems with adware and or malware?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 CPU_HDD

CPU_HDD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:57 AM

No, I didn't! Thanks, I was wondering about that. I don't seem to be having problems, but it was late & I was kind of sick of it all, so I didn't use the computer much afterwards.

Also thanks for the Imgburn download link. Hoping I have an old copy of the setup somewhere here, too.

One of the files Zemana found had 4 capital letters, like a company name, so I Googled to make sure it wasn't something I wanted. It looked like adware. I think one of the suspicious roots was, too. So I'm wondering what is still on there.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,095 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:32 AM

How to Burn an ISO File on Windows 7: 4 Steps (with Pictures)

You just about run the gamut of programs used in this forum. Best you start a new topic in Malware Removal Forum to be sure

all adware and malware is history.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.

When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.

DO NOT bump your new topic. Wait for a response from one of the Team Members.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 CPU_HDD

CPU_HDD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:57 PM

It says not to use Farbar for commercial purposes. Can I use it on a work computer, or do you just mean I can't use it if i am charging to remove viruses?

I am really interested in learning how computers work, was reading a registry tutorial last night.  Id like to be able to get in and see if malware is in my machine.  Any suggestions?

#6 CPU_HDD

CPU_HDD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:20 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/594411/downloaded-imgburnother-from-site-uninstalled-play-thru-player-etc/

As far as Ninite, Is there anyplace to just download a .exe file? Not really wanting anything auto after all this, would rather download on droid, scan with av, then install on windows machine.

Edited by CPU_HDD, 25 October 2015 - 03:23 PM.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,095 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:26 PM

You can use Farbar....

You can directly download programs from the Ninite site without downloading their updating program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users