Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am rebuilding my PC and want to do it right. I am looking for help.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hpepe4

hpepe4

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:08 AM

Hello and thank you for taking the time to help me with m PC system rebuild.

- TL;DR
- Specs
- Pictures
- Elaboration - Why I'm posting and what I'm looking for

------------------------------------------------------
TL;DR:

- What are some weekly/monthly/yearly maintenance tasks for both hardware and software?
- What's the best way to remove dust from tight spots such as CPU Heat sink/fan?
- What's the best way to remove dust from hardware I'm keeping (MOBO, CPU. Unless I should replace them (?)) before I rebuild into a new PC case?
- What kind of case and fans should I buy if I'm looking to build a quiet system?
- Where is the best area to place my tower? I currently use the cubby in my wooden desk.
- I use my system for: professional audio work (music/sound effect design), casual (high end preference) gaming/entertainment. How can I best invest my money into my rebuild?

Operating System
            Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
        CPU
            AMD FX-8120    47 °C
            Zambezi 32nm Technology
        RAM
            4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 836MHz (9-9-9-24)
        Motherboard
            ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A97 (AM3r2)    29 °C
        Graphics
            SyncMaster (1680x1050@60Hz)
            896MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (EVGA)    67 °C
        Storage
            931GB Western Digital WDC WD1002FBYS-02A6B0 ATA Device (SATA)    40 °C
        Audio
            Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)

Pictures

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Elaboration - Why I'm posting and what I'm looking for

I'm posting because I am trying to take better care of myself in life and cleaning up my PC, and learning how to take care of it correctly, is a big part of that. I took the time to make this post look nice because I'm taking this very seriously. I am trying to get my music business going, things are rolling for me, but a big hurdle for me is to rebuild my PC and general work desk area.
What I'm looking for is feedback and commentary on my, yes sloppy, PC care as well as suggestions for my rebuild into a new case.

I've been putting PCs together for about ten years ago, my father first taught me. I've had about three or four different builds over that time (usually as Windows OS progressed). As you can see, my maintenance with my PC tower and it's hardware has been, well, insufficient - dust is everywhere and I'm worried about it. I have three fan slots not used, and the fans that are running are garbage (dust build up). I had a PSU burn out on me this summer (weather + dust build up).

My projected budget for this project is around $500

- What are some weekly/monthly/yearly maintenance tasks for both hardware and software?
- What's the best way to remove dust from tight spots such as CPU Heat sink/fan?
Yeah, it shouldn't be there in the first place but when I move the hardware I'm keeping over to a new tower I want to clean it up first.
- What's the best way to remove dust from hardware I'm keeping (MOBO, CPU. Unless I should replace them (?)) before I rebuild into a new PC case?
- What kind of case and fans should I buy if I'm looking to build a quiet system?
I am a composer, I do my work at my home studio, and when I'm working I'd like to minimize hardware sounds (the fans). Should I buy a new fan for my CPU?
- Where is the best area to place my tower? I currently use the cubby in my wooden desk.
Is the cubby hole making my system run hotter than it should? There is so much dust because I was a fool to leave the case fairly open for a long time, thinking that would help the temperature, but I've since wised up.
- I use my system for: professional audio work (music/sound effect design), casual (high end preference) gaming/entertainment. How can I best invest my money into my rebuild?

Thank you for all of your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:08 PM

I believe this other community forum, has already helped you. 

Then why post it here in this forum?

https://community.newegg.com/archive_2007-2013/product_support/f/8/t/117711.aspx?pi5025=1

Edited by hamluis, 05 November 2015 - 03:57 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#3 hpepe4

hpepe4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:02 PM

@CyberSec_ET

That post was three years ago. This one is recent.

#4 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:52 AM

Hello and thank you for taking the time to help me with m PC system rebuild.

- TL;DR
- Specs
- Pictures
- Elaboration - Why I'm posting and what I'm looking for

TL;DR:

Operating System
            Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
        CPU
            AMD FX-8120    47 °C
            Zambezi 32nm Technology
        RAM
            4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 836MHz (9-9-9-24)
        Motherboard
            ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A97 (AM3r2)    29 °C
        Graphics
            SyncMaster (1680x1050@60Hz)
            896MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (EVGA)    67 °C
        Storage
            931GB Western Digital WDC WD1002FBYS-02A6B0 ATA Device (SATA)    40 °C
        Audio
            Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)

Pictures

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Elaboration - Why I'm posting and what I'm looking for

I'm posting because I am trying to take better care of myself in life and cleaning up my PC, and learning how to take care of it correctly, is a big part of that. I took the time to make this post look nice because I'm taking this very seriously. I am trying to get my music business going, things are rolling for me, but a big hurdle for me is to rebuild my PC and general work desk area.
What I'm looking for is feedback and commentary on my, yes sloppy, PC care as well as suggestions for my rebuild into a new case.

I've been putting PCs together for about ten years ago, my father first taught me. I've had about three or four different builds over that time (usually as Windows OS progressed). As you can see, my maintenance with my PC tower and it's hardware has been, well, insufficient - dust is everywhere and I'm worried about it. I have three fan slots not used, and the fans that are running are garbage (dust build up). I had a PSU burn out on me this summer (weather + dust build up).

My projected budget for this project is around $500

Yeah, it shouldn't be there in the first place but when I move the hardware I'm keeping over to a new tower I want to clean it up first.
I am a composer, I do my work at my home studio, and when I'm working I'd like to minimize hardware sounds (the fans). Should I buy a new fan for my CPU?
Is the cubby hole making my system run hotter than it should? There is so much dust because I was a fool to leave the case fairly open for a long time, thinking that would help the temperature, but I've since wised up.

Thank you for all of your help.

Here is an article on how to keep your rig clean >

Quiet PC Cases >

Silent Case Fans >

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users