Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sprucing up 9 old school computers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 veronemilie

veronemilie

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:04 AM

Hi, I have an "in" with our local schools so that when they upgrade their computers they call me & I pick up all the old ones (broken, working, parts, cables, etc) & sort through them only keeping the ones that are easily fixable (the other ones are properly disposed of) this last batch included 9 towers I have gone through 5 so far (the others are just clones of these ones).

I would like to spruce these up by maxing out the RAM (I kept all the ram from the computers that were missing parts) & installing Ubuntu on them & then gifting them to local low income people that are in need of a computer.

The computers seem to all share the same motherboard MSI N1996 they all have different processors & amounts of RAM I also noticed that there seems to be 2 different models of the motherboard one with 2 ram slots & one with 4 ram slots.

Could someone help me figure out the max ram ?

Also any other pointers would be great :)

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 25 October 2015 - 08:24 PM.
Moved from System Buildintg to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:54 PM

The MSI N1996 has 4GBs ddr2 max ram. You know it doesn't hurt to do a google search before posting...

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 veronemilie

veronemilie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:51 PM

My google searches came up with varying answers that's why I asked here to be certain. I also couldn’t find weather the 2 different versions (2 ram slots & 4 ram slots) could max out at different amounts of ram. But thanks for making making assumptions Captain_Chicken

Now to work on un teen proofing the computers & getting them ready to be used by people who need them.

Any useful advice & tips would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks

#4 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:03 PM

un teen proofing? Surely you are formatting the drives and not keeping the original OS though right?

#5 veronemilie

veronemilie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:14 AM

Un teen proofing = reconnecting cd/dvd drives, removing bios password & resetting bios, making sure all usb ports are activated, etc

As stated in my original post I will be installing Ubuntu.

Thank you for taking the time to properly read my post !

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:12 AM

You are doing a great local service, tip of the hat to you. I have been doing the same thing for years. I get older computers, clean them up, etc. and donate them to families who can't afford a computer. The kids can do homework and project papers at home instead of spending hours at the local library using theirs. Most of the time the school allows them to use the school printers to print out their homework assignments. I try to keep the original operating system if possible. In addition to the computer, I install free antivirus, firewall (I use Windows firewall unless it's running XP), free screen grabber  and Microsoft Wordpad for a word processor. 7-Zip is free for a file compressor/extractor, and Foxit pdf reader and distiller is also free. I always give them Firefox for a browser and install several security add-ons for it.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:24 AM

Googling MSI N1996 seems to throw up results for two completely different motherboards.

A HP (OEM) Argon - DDR1, Intel Socket 478, Intel 845E chipset, with maximum memory supported 1 Gb - Link to HP specifications  Link to Crucial.com memory upgrades

This LGA775, Intel 945GC motherboard, claiming 4 Gb maximum memory - Link to "SpecOut"

There is a problem with the second one though.  The picture in the second link clearly is not an LGA775 motherboard (it has a PGA socket), so I think it's unlikely any of their specifications are right.  They are probably for an entirely different motherboard.  You can verify yourself of course.  Are the items in your possession equipped with DDR1 memory?  What processor models do they use etc?

No idea why you'd have different variants with the same model number with different numbers of RAM slots though.  The Intel 845E chipset supports up to 2Gb memory.  Possibly it'll take 4 x 512mb DIMMs.  That's a guess.

Operating system wise, Xubuntu 32bit should run on a 1Gb system fine.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 veronemilie

veronemilie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:32 AM

The ram is DDR2 & the machines have 2-3 gb of ram installed currently & most are running windows 7 enterprise (1 running XP so far) one of the machines has an intel 2.53 ghz pentium 4 processor (forgot to write down the processors of the other ones) if that helps sort out the motherboard?

ranchhand_ Thanks :) not that long ago we were the ones going pay check to pay check & not always making it :( this is something I can do to give back :) I like running linux because then they dont have to worry about viruses & such (just had to switch a friend over after he got a ransomware because he is computer illiterate) also they never have to worry about buying new versions as they upgrade for free :) Currently on a computer running Lubuntu on 1gb ram & have another running it on only 512mb ram :)

Thanks for your help jonuk76 :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users