Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tweaking HDD question

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:58 AM

Hello.

I'm headed back into the land of dual-booting (Windows / Linux) and would like to take my current Unallocated space, which is approx. 195 GB and increase it by at least another 200, if possible.

My computer is a HP Desktop p6-2143w running Windows 7 Home Premium.

I'm in the process of backing up everything I care about - photos, music, docs, etc - in case something goes wonky in the process and I've already got my Recovery Discs made and at the ready if they are needed.

My guess is that this won't be that complicated but it's been so long since I created that first Unallocated space that I don't remember the steps and/or process.

Here's a screen shot of what my set up looks like right now:

Current%20HDD_Oct%202015.png

Ideas / apps / suggestions all appreciated.

Thank you,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:03 AM

Since you have unallocated space already, you right-click on the C: and choose expand. Click next, next. All of the 195.31GB will merge to C: drive.

To create another partition you right-click on C: and choose shrink it will caluclate the maximum ammount you can use. Since you want 400GB you have to do a little math..1024 x 400 = 409600. Enter that number into a field of how much you want to shrink C and create your new 400GB partition, press shrink.

Once you have your new unallocated partition you right-click the unallocated space and choose simple volume, click next, next, assign a drive letter in this case I assume D, click next. Give it a volume label if you like and change the file system format if you like NTFS is the default. Be sure to put a check into the box to Perform a quick format. Click next. Done!

Note: You shrink C: to create partition and expand C to merge. You must first have unallocated space to work with. If D: was fully partitioned and formated you first backup the data, then right-click D: and choose delete volume. This changes it to unallocated space. Then you just follow the steps again to expand C into unallocated space. You can shrink and expand the D: parittion as well just like C.

Hope that helps you out! :)

Edited by technonymous, 25 October 2015 - 09:05 AM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:21 AM

Windows 7 only allows one to expand a system partition. You cannot shrink one. I would download Partition Wizard. Click on your C: partiton. Grab the right arrow of the C: partition bar, left click and drag the partition to what space you require then install linux to the unallocated space which it will see.

All steps in Partition Wizard are virtual which allows you to delete a step you do not want. All steps complete only after clicking Apply.

You can leave your D: recovery partition alone as but I am not sure it will still be available at boot after installing linux. I recommend you create a full disk image before installing linux with Macrium Free to an external drive. Also create a bootable WinPE disk using the program so you can boot and recover the image if Windows does not boot.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:44 AM

Oh yeah that's true. I don't have that problem with WIn 10 I see a shrink on my parittion.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:21 AM

I may be wrong on that technonymous. I always thought the system partition could not be shrunk in Windows 7 but according to this article it can. Learned something new today.

https://www.petri.com/shrink-system-partition-in-windows-7

#6 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:41 AM

You two are awesome, thanks for the info, tips and the quick response.

I'll take JohnC_21's tip to create a full disk image as well as the WinPE disk in case I stumble along the way.

And just to make sure I'm reading this correctly:  >>   I can go ahead and follow technonymous's directions in Post #2, yes? <<

And I'll just leave the D: recovery partition alone.

Winterland

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:48 AM

Go ahead and try shrinking the partition within Windows 7. From further reading the problem you may have is Windows cannot move a file when shrinking so you may not be able to shrink the system partition to the amount you want because a file is near the end of the partition. If you cannot shrink the partition to the amount you want then use Partition Wizard. It's very easy to use and has not failed me yet.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:51 AM

To my understanding you wanted to increase the 200GB to 400GB. Since it's aready unallocated. You just right-click C and expand it out. The 200GB will merge with C and then you shrink C again to 400GB. The other partition backup will be left alone automatically as it is formatted. As you can see with the blue bar and lines through it. Expand and shrink should not touch it.

Edited by technonymous, 25 October 2015 - 10:53 AM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:50 AM

@technonymous, am I wrong or cannot the OP just shrink the C: partition instead of expanding and then shrinking? I know with Partition Wizard it's just a matter of dragging the C: partition to reduce it by 200GB. 

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:15 PM

The OP can try it with something like 200mb. I am not certain. I think windows management will likely think you want to create another partition. Windows hd management isn't as robust as other 3rd party stuff. I always did it that way to be sure I am not messing anything up.

#11 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:54 PM

To my understanding you wanted to increase the 200GB to 400GB. Since it's already unallocated. You just right-click C and expand it out. The 200GB will merge with C and then you shrink C again to 400GB. The other partition backup will be left alone automatically as it is formatted. As you can see with the blue bar and lines through it. Expand and shrink should not touch it.

I'm going to try this first.

My external HD should be here on Weds and once I've got my image made and all my back-ups backed up, I'll try this and let you know.

I really do appreciate you both helping me out.

I'm anxious to get back to the dual-boot setup and get back to playing with Linux.

Winterland

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:35 PM

After you create the bootable WinPE disk in Macrium Reflect boot it and make sure it detects all you hard drivers including your external.

#13 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:31 AM

OK, will do.

Thanks again.

I should have an update & good news by the weekend.

Winterland

#14 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:22 AM

Sweet!

That was somewhat of a non-event thanks to you two.

I got my spiffy new Toshiba external hard drive, backed everything up.

Ran my Full AV / MBAM scans, de-fragged and also ran CCleaner and then rebooted.

Expanded and then Shrunk, assigned my Letter (get it, 'L'etter)  and then *presto* there it was:

post%20shrink_10%2031%202015.jpg

So, as it stands now, I think my work here is done, unless there is some thing else you think I should do or should have done.

I'm headed over to the Linux Forum to make sure my ducks are in a row to install Kubuntu next to my Windows in the old fashioned dual-boot manner.

Thanks again to the both of you for the quick response and great info.

onward,

Winterland

#15 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:20 PM

Just wanted to add that since you are installing Linux there is no need to format the partition you can leave it unallocated. Linux will just need to delete the volume again so it can create a primary and swap file partitions and then format them to ext4.

Edited by technonymous, 31 October 2015 - 08:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users