Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS Updating

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 06:07 AM

Hope this is the right place for this topic

I used the utility from my new Asus motherboard CD to make a copy of the BIOS before updating it. The copy is in the form of a ROM file. Can anyone tell me what I do with this file should I need to restore the BIOS later.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:01 AM

ASUS usually provide a number of ways to flash the BIOS. To restore a saved file I expect you would use one of the methods that involves naming the ROM file with a variant of the board model number. The manual would give the necessary instructions, but typically you can have the correctly named file on a bootable disc, boot from it and it will do the flash, or from within the BIOS choose a BIOS flash option. If an update fails and you can't enter the BIOS, you usually have to do the bootable disc method, at least with the older ASUS boards I've been involved with.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:51 AM

I am still at a loss. I guess the question now is how do I make a bootable disk from the ROM file

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users