Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buzzing coming from my headphones

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Arlothia

Arlothia

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:43 AM

Okay, so a few days ago I noticed a buzzing when I put on my headphones. I also have external speakers and I think I can hear it from them but I'm not completely sure (they aren't the best speakers). It's not really loud but it's definitely noticeable and rather annoying after a while. Luckily it's usually drowned out by any music or videos I'm listening to. And it's not completely constant, either. Sometimes there's a short second when the buzzing cuts out but then it's right back at it. It's sort of static-y.

It is not affected when I raise or lower the volume on my computer and I know it's not an issue with my headphones because I plugged in another pair to my computer and got the same thing. And just to make sure, I plugged my pair into another computer and there was no buzzing.

I've tried fiddling with settings (which I hadn't changed prior to the buzzing problem) but so far nothing is working.

And just to provide some general information about my computer to help figure out what's going on, I have an Asus desktop running Windows 7.

I am also posting this to the Audio and Video Forum just in case this is that kind of problem. But if you guys know of another area where I can bring this I would be grateful for that info!  Mod Edit:  Merged topics, dupe post deleted - Hamluis.

Thanks so much!

~:A:~

Edited by hamluis, 28 October 2015 - 11:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:54 AM

Go into the volume controls and turn down or mute the various things like mic, midi, line in, etc.

#3 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:06 AM

Thanks for the advice but unfortunately the buzzing is still there. I tried muting everything on that list and it didn't change a thing. I'm pretty sure it's not related to any of the volume controls because I haven't made any changes to them and I haven't had any updates recently that would have changed anything. But I could of course be wrong.

I actually saw this youtube video where this guy was having a problem that sounded similar to mine (no pun intended) and his issue was with power. So he changed his computer's power plug from being in a power strip to an actual wall outlet and that solved it for him. I tried that as well but obviously to no effect. But perhaps my problem is something related to that?

Thanks again!

A

#4 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:51 AM

Did you also look at the Recording volumes, not just the playback ones?

#5 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:05 AM

I don't have any recording devices plugged in so I can't change any volumes because I can't configure them. And just out of sheer curiosity I plugged my headphones into the microphone jack (which stopped the buzzing but also stopped all other sound...) and clicked on the configure button under the recording option, I saw no place to change any volumes. Just in case I'm missing something (which I probably am because working with computers in this way isn't quite my thing), how would you have me access the recording volumes? What I do is I go to the sound option under the Control Panel and go under the Recording tab. Then, when I actually have something plugged into that jack, I click on the microphone icon and press configure but I don't know how to access the volumes for it. Admittedly, it's quite late and I haven't made a thorough search so if you could help with that I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks so much!!

A

#6 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:23 AM

Oh, yeah, nevermind about the recording thing, I was thinking about how it was in older windows, and since you have no recording devices I guess there's nothing to do there anyway.

I have no other ideas about it, so hopefully someone else does. If you never find out a way to fix it, then the eventual possible fix is to buy a sound card, assuming you are currently using onboard sound.

#7 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:10 AM

Oh no problem! :) I really appreciate your help and your quick responses. And maybe some of your advice will help with some other issue I have in the future, you never know!

How do I know if I'm using onboard sound?

Thanks!

A

#8 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:33 PM

Onboard sound ports are up near the top, next to all the other ports like usb, onboard video etc - all coming from the motherboard.  A sound card's ports would be down at the bottom where all the horizontal card slots are.

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 06:56 PM

I've spent a number of days working on different units that suffered from HUUMM.  Some audio cables from media drives and to and from the MOBO to front and rear panel jacks can be positioned too close to power lines to and from drives.  Cures could be as simple as reposition things away from power wiring, other cases may need foil shields over the audio wiring to prevent induction.  One was caused by the audio cable from a media drive (CD/DVD) passing too close to the CPU fan.

#10 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:43 PM

sparklestar--Since my headphone port is right on top by my USB ports I'm assuming that I'm using onboard sound :) I'll look into sound cards if nothing else works.

mjd420nova--Thanks so much for your input! I guess the sound I'm hearing could be described as a HUMMM. So what you're saying is that some wires inside or outside of my computer are too close to each other? Not knowing the layout of my computer (or really any computer for that matter), what sort of media drive cables or power wiring might I need to move? If you can give me names of wires and cables then I can google a schematic of a computer and try out moving things around!

Thanks again you guys!!

A

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:57 PM

The wires of particular concern are the ones between the MOBO and the panel jacks.  Older units had separate analog audio lines, usually a five conductor flat ribbon between a CD drive and the MOBO or plugin sound card.

#12 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:31 PM

Okay, great! Is it safe to have my computer on while having the panel off and shifting wires around? I figure I can wear my headphones while moving wires until I fix the problem! I'll probably get to it on Tuesday and I'll let you know how it works out!

Thanks!

A

#13 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:53 PM

Based on a couple things you have said about your level of knowledge of computers, no, I don't think it's safe for you to do that.

#14 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:40 PM

Alright, probably a good idea :) So my course of action would be to take off the panel, move some wires around, turn on the computer, check, if not fixed then turn off and start again?

Thanks!

A

#15 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:33 PM

Well, that was an idea inspired by someone else. I don't have much hope for it because, what, did suddenly wires inside your computer change position on their own one day? Could be worth a try I don't know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users