Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

home network connection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 camplate

camplate

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:35 PM

Problem: I am trying to connect to a linux desktop on my network and don't know the IP address. It doesn't have a monitor or keyboard, just plugged into the router. It is working and connected to the internet; I am using it as a weather station. I have not connected to it in months; I was using putty on vista laptop but putty won't run for some reason and I want to connect from mint laptop.

I have a vista laptop, win 10 laptop, mint laptop (all three toshiba), the desktop, and maybe one or two other devices. The desktop is directly connected to the router, the rest are wireless.

On mint laptop I type ifconfig in the terminal window

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr ac:b5:7d:84:f8:23  
          inet addr:10.0.0.33  Bcast:10.0.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::aeb5:7dff:fe84:f823/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:497596 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:174166 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:192209437 (192.2 MB)  TX bytes:29138362 (29.1 MB)

I then typed: sudo arp-scan -l -I wlan0 in the terminal.
Interface: wlan0, datalink type: EN10MB (Ethernet)
Starting arp-scan 1.8.1 with 256 hosts (http://www.nta-monitor.com/tools/arp-scan/)
10.0.0.1    0c:d5:02:99:32:f2    Westell
10.0.0.14    00:16:6b:9b:76:9a    Samsung Electronics
10.0.0.17    00:23:54:f9:ec:b0    ASUSTek COMPUTER INC.
10.0.0.15    dc:d3:21:46:93:84    HUMAX co.,tld
10.0.0.31    00:16:6b:9b:77:2a    Samsung Electronics
10.0.0.16    b8:3e:59:82:9e:1f    (Unknown)
10.0.0.13    00:13:e8:54:5e:fd    Intel Corporate

7 packets received by filter, 0 packets dropped by kernel
Ending arp-scan 1.8.1: 256 hosts scanned in 1.362 seconds (187.96 hosts/sec). 7 responded

I did ipconfig on the other laptops and got 10.0.0.30 (Win 10) and 10.0.0.13 (vista) instead? I'm mostly sure 10.0.0.13 isn't the vista computer. The numbers from wlan0 are off by one, at least?

I have been trying ssh -l username host to try to connect to anything and some say no route to host, and some say timed out.

I'll hook the desktop to a monitor and keyboard if I can't connect.

Thanks for any ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 irvin_than_allyl

irvin_than_allyl

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 07:58 PM

I'll hook the desktop to a monitor and keyboard if I can't connect.

Wouldn't this be the simplest way to find out? Just hook up a monitor and keyboard and ifconfig it. Either this or log into the router's interface and see what the network configuration is for the weather station. Are you sure it's on the same network and subnet?

Aside from that, maybe the SSH server on it is down for some reason.

#3 camplate

camplate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:04 AM

Hooking up a monitor and keyboard is not the easiest solution because the computer is behind a desk and not accessible. I can just see it to know that it is running but nothing else. It is ventilated. I need it to be in a certain spot to hook up to the router get signals from the weather station, but otherwise be out of the way.

It has to be on the same network. I was connecting to it using the vista laptop, but putty isn't working and I hope to retire that laptop soon.

I need to learn how to connect remotely so the desktop isn't moved.

'log into router interface' - How do I do this on mint? Why aren't the wlan0 numbers correct? Plus, don't the numbers change? Or, do they only change for wireless connections?

#4 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:06 PM

Don't know if arp-scan is using a cached arp table. Normally this is auto-updated at certain intervals but if the arp table on the router or on your computer is not up to date you could be seeing older entries.

Maybe flushing the table will help.

flush neighbor entries

ip neigh flush dev wlan0

or

ip neigh flush all

A way to update the router ARP cache

arping -U -I wlan0 10.0.0.1

being 10.0.0.1 your router/gateway ip

#5 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:12 PM

To log into the router web interface you can:

1. open a web browser
  2. write the router's IP in the address bar an hit Enter
  3. Input the router admin and password. If you don't know this information look the manual for the defaults one (some common login data are admin/admin, admin/password)
  4. If the router web interface has a LAN or Wireless LAN section you may find there a list of Associated Stations.

#6 camplate

camplate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:30 AM

Thank you nuna.

I was able to find the computer. I used ssh user@hostname; it asked for the password and it's not accepting it. I know what it should be, but now I'm stuck.

Permission denied (publickey,password).

#7 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:29 PM

I guess you're login to a non-root user (disabled in ssh per default/recommended settings). Did you configure ssh/putty with private/public keys? (You might have a backup)

You can try Kitty or Putty portable in the Windows Vista computer. Don't know if they can import/read putty's registry settings from the installed version ...if you will you can give it a shot.

As a last resort, you can hook up a monitor and keyboard to check the ssh server settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users