Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bacon as deadly as cigarettes and asbestos

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,692 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:32 PM

In really, really bad news for bacon lovers, a shock report says the World Health Organisation (WHO) will next week add processed meat to its "carcinogenic to humans" list.

That's according to the Daily Mail, which claims that, according to "a well-placed source", a gathering of international scientists have checked the evidence and decided processed meat merits a top risk ranking, along with alcohol, asbestos, arsenic and cigarettes.

The Mail says processed meat consumption has been linked to bowel cancer, "Britain’s second biggest cancer killer". The Department of Health has tentatively said it "probably" increases the risk of deadly gut rot, but WHO intends to go further by declaring the practice extremely ill-advised.

Those who believe they can still get their meat fix by ditching the processed variety and switching to the fresh red flavour should be warned that WHO also intends to rate this as "probably carcinogenic to humans".

Unsurprisingly, the Mail predicts economic porkocalypse, with "shock waves" rippling through the farming and fast food industries.

The paper quotes one Betsy Booren, of the North American Meat Institute, who said recently: "If they determine that red and processed meat causes cancer – and I think they will – that moniker will stick. It could take decades and billions of dollars to change that."

In the end, if you continue to eat bacon, it's a toss-up as to whether the bowel cancer will get you before you suffer a heart attack. ®

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/23/who_bacon_shocker/

It may be deadly but its tasty, So I will take the risks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:35 AM

A good read for us bacon lovers.....https://www.yahoo.com/health/the-science-behind-why-were-so-obsessed-with-120101113.html

Be sure to check out the Bacon Scented Underwear, The Bacon Rose Bouquet, the IPhone Bacon Scented Alarm, and others.

When it comes to bacon, we bacon lovers know no bounds. If I had some bacon bout now, I'd have some bacon & eggs if I had some eggs! :)

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:27 AM

Nick, I stand in Unity with you regarding the bacon!

bacon.jpg

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:48 AM

Still going to eat lots of bacon.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:58 PM

Its simple, everything in moderation. Booze, bacon, snags, and now theys ay eating just red meat is bad?

Bit like they said eggs where bad and full of bad cholesterol only to find they are actually one of the best food groups for you!

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,692 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:09 PM

Waits patiently for bacon to be declared a health food.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:52 PM

Here it the way I see it:

The ever-popular, all-knowing "THEY" (whoever "they" are) say everything we eat, everything we drink, everything we do, the air we breathe, is bad for us.

With that being the case I will continue to eat what I want, drink what I want, do what I want until I am no longer breathing the "bad air".

If it all ends up doing harm to me and causing me to stop breathing that air sooner than I want I at least am doing it, as so eloquently stated by Frank Sinatra, MY WAY and will be happy doing it.

I will also think about all those before me who ate LOTS of bacon and did not get cancer, did not have a heart attack or any other dreaded diseases because they ate it (and lots of other so-called bad for you foods).

Someone please pass me the bacon and LOTS of it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 October 2015 - 07:54 PM.

#8 PhotoAce

PhotoAce

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:12 PM

Life is a sexually transmitted terminal condition.

#9 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:59 PM

This might be worth a read: http://www.techinsider.io/how-bad-for-you-is-bacon-compared-to-cigarettes-2015-10

Yes it is causing cancer, but that does not mean it's in the same league as cigarettes or playing soccer with the core of nuclear power plant. Really processed meat is much less dangerous than cigarettes are.

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,692 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:07 PM

I bet the vegetarians are loving this.

Eating sausages, ham and other processed meats causes colorectal cancer, and red meat “probably” too, the World Health Organisation’s cancer research agency says.

The findings support “recommendations to limit intake of meat”, said the International Agency for Research on Cancer, which compiled a review of more than 800 studies on the link between a meat diet and cancer.

“In view of the large number of people who consume processed meat, the global impact on cancer incidence is of public health importance,” IARC official Kurt Straif said on Monday.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/29912669/sausages-ham-cancer-causing-who/?cmp=yfb

#11 irvin_than_allyl

irvin_than_allyl

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:54 AM

Has anyone noticed the prices of chicken and fish going up?

#12 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:49 PM

The risks are minimal, a careful look at the actual statistics involved shows that processed meats cause a fractional increase in a fairly small risk of developing these types of cancers, and only amongst those eating a lot of processed meats (several times a week atleast). A lot of newspapers are definitely confusing absolute risk (your actual likelihood of developing cancer) with proportional risks(by what fraction of itself your absolute risk may rise) and in the process making stories such as this one sound a lot more worrying than they genuinely are. This is reason enough to REDUCE consumption of processed meats a little bit, but it's no reason at all to give them up.

Edited by rp88, 29 October 2015 - 08:50 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#13 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:21 PM

Yes, the local papers today made a good example. They asked: How many bacon do you need to eat for it to be as "dangerous" as smoking a packet of cigarettes a day? The answer is 5kg. That's an insane amount of bacon to consume, I'd expect anyone managing that to have all kind of other problems long before the cancer sets in. :P

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 30 October 2015 - 07:18 PM

Since this topic started with a quote from 'El Reg' it seemed appropriate to continue the theme -

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/30/neckfiller_who_bacon_sarnie/

For some while now they have been running a series of post-pub snacks, meals or 'neck fillers'. This one is an expanded bacon sanny in response to the WHO.

In the finest traditions of 'The Register' I shall sign myself -

Anonymous Coward

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 30 October 2015 - 07:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users