Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HDD appearing full when not

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 _Lewis

_Lewis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 02:36 PM

Hi,

So the other day my 1TB Toshiba external HDD went from being 10% full to 100%. I realised it when i went to add a file to the device. It struct me as odd so i run the usual checks (Virus, defrag, disk cleanup, error check), checked if the driver was up to date and did a restart, no change. I then decided to delete some old files i had no need but when i did a reboot it went back up to 100%.

I decided to delete more files and they appeared to have cleared some space but when i went to double check it shows 0 space available. (see pic #1). I then thought maybe it was because i connect my HDD to my Xbox One (so i can watch tv shows/movies) and that had caused it to reformat, i think its unlikely as i've been using it like that for almost a year.

I've changed my settings to show hidden files and nothing came up. So i downloaded a programme called TreeSize to show me what was taking up the space, well you can see that in 'Pic 2' it is coming up as only having 67GB which would be right after i've deleted all my old music files. I'm totally stumped. I've read several people's posts about this and done all the checks but could really do with some actual support on this before i decide to take it into a shop.

Appreciate any help,

Lewis

Attached File  HDD_Error_Pic1.JPG   58.59KB   0 downloads

Attached File  HDD_Error_Pic2.JPG   54.48KB   0 downloads

EDIT: I noticed a few forums were asking about the format of the drive, it is in FAT32 which may impact this. I'm also running on Windows Vista (yeah it's an old machine but it works for downloading stuff and MS Office). 

Also I can copy files across from the HDD to my laptop which may have to happen but i'd rather not as i'll have to load up several USB Sticks as my laptop's hard drive is pretty limited.

Edited by _Lewis, 24 October 2015 - 02:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:50 PM

You could check to see if System Restore is enabled for this external drive ? if so from Vista turn it off and recheck the drives properties again.

Otherwise i would disable the Show Hidden Files and Folder on the External Drive , and then move what you need back to the Main PC - if you have the space.

Then just reformat the External as you wish , and before moving the files back to the external check the size prior and compare after the transfer - In theory it should show the same.

I see a MBR on the External Drive which to me doesnt look right ?...Maybe XBOX Req ?

Therefore i would wait for more info from the Experts and other avenues to take prior to my thoughts above.

Could you also show the Pie Chart - Of  E:\  Properties  Using Windows Explorer.and upload it here.

Edited by Havachat, 24 October 2015 - 05:22 PM.

#3 _Lewis

_Lewis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:26 AM

I've checked the System Restore and it i believe it to be off. It doesn't appear on the list of drives which do. (Pic #3).   I'll have to wait till i go back to work as i'll need a dozen USB sticks to transfer the data across.

I think the Xbox requirements may be impacting but i've been using it for almost a year and never had any problems which makes me think its not that, but obviously i'm hoping an expert can help me out there.

Sure, see pic #4 for the pie chart.

I'll note that deleting all my music files has created 32GB of space which is an improvement on before whereby all data was instantly filled up.

Thanks Havachat.

Attached File  HDD_Error_Pic3.JPG   51.6KB   0 downloads

Attached File  HDD_Error_Pic4.JPG   41.75KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users