Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell latitude d820

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dimanusha

Dimanusha

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:45 PM

My dell latitude d820 won't start , and shows no signs of live tried multiple chargers and the Chargers just shut off please help !!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:33 AM

Unplug the power cable from the laptop

Take out the battery

Press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds

Plug the power back in but do not put the battery back in

Turn it on

Wait till you get all the way into windows, then shut down the computer normally so that the computer is Off.

Put the battery back in

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:58 AM

Please explain what you mean by "charger just shuts off".

Is this the power adapter which came with this computer?

Is the battery still charging?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Dimanusha

Dimanusha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:35 PM

Well , the power adapter that came with the laptop turns green but when I plug it into the computer the light goes off , and it doesn't charge

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:51 AM

With this piece of information it looks like you may need to replace the power adapter.

You can find a compatible adapter at Amazon.

If you have a voltmeter with a DC scale I would suggest reading the output voltage to be sure it is failing to produce the proper voltage.  Most power adapters have short circuit protection built into it.  If there is a short in the laptop this could cause the green LED on the adapter to go out.  By reading the output voltage you can determine whether the problem is the adapter or a short in the laptop.  If you have the proper output voltage and the green LED doesn't go out when you test it the adapter is good.

The adapter connector which plugs into the laptop has a postive (+) center pole and the outside of the plug is the negative (-) pole.  This is where you will read the voltage.  The voltage for your adapter should be 19.5V.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users