Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 07:14 AM

If I buy Windows 7 Professional Upgrade, can I install it if I currently have Windows 10?

Sounds strange, but I never paid for Windows 10 anyway, so I'm not losing anything. I had Insider Preview and was able to update to the full version of Win 10 when it came out somehow. I never had anything on this PC before IP. It's activated and everything. Build 10240. I liked Windows 7 better though. I wouldn't mind buying it.

Will a simple Upgrade package work?

"A lizard in the desert wouldn't eat that." ~Gordon Ramsay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:42 AM

You were able to upgrade to Windows 10 being a Insider Preview member.  But you can't "upgrade" to Windows 7.  If you had Window 7 installed previously you may be able to revert back to that operating system.  As a Insider Preview member, I don't know if that is possible or not.

I'm sure someone a little more familiar with this will let you know.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:59 AM

dc3, I checked a few related URLs, while they mention going from a genuine OEM or MS Windows 7 to Windows 10, there is no mention [that I could find] of being able to upgrade Windows 7 itself. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:59 AM

As DC3 states "If you had Window 7 installed previously you may be able to revert back to that operating system."

Is that possible?

If not download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see what it reports

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

EDIT: The intent of this recommendation is not for upgrading to Windows 7 but whether or not Windows 7 can be freshly installed onto your Windows 10 OS the way it is. Also if I remember correctly you need to make sure the Windows 7 software you purchase can do a fresh install on its first use vs. the upgrade feature: which is probably what your question is focused on.

Edited by cmptrgy, 24 October 2015 - 09:04 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:18 AM

dc3, I checked a few related URLs, while they mention going from a genuine OEM or MS Windows 7 to Windows 10, there is no mention [that I could find] of being able to upgrade Windows 7 itself. 

There is no upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 7.  Upgrades always go from a earlier version of Windows to a newer version.  But you can downgrade back to the previous version of Windows if you upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

Once again, the question is can they downgrade to Windows 7 having a Insider Preview installation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 01:15 PM

Karzahni are you beyond the 30 day period to revert back to your prior OS?

I haven't read through this article, but a few items I quickly saw indicate that it's possible so it looks like it's worth checking out

Revert back to windows 7 from windows 10 insider preview

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_repair/revert-back-to-windows-7-from-windows-10-insider/63693136-487e-47e9-82f3-749ed02d3fb3?auth=1

#7 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:20 PM

I never had anything on this PC before IP.

The PC was brand new (well the motherboard at least) and I installed Insider Preview to see how it would go. Was planning on buying Windows/installing Linux if I didn't like it. The only reason I can think of it activating itself is that the SSD I used had Windows 7 on it. But it was out of a laptop and the first thing I did was format it. The internet seems to be in consensus that IP users cannot upgrade to the full version unless they have a licence for Win 7/8.1. Microsoft says you cannot do this. But it happened. I even checked my product key and it was not the generic one I put in when I had IP.

I may not even buy Win 7. My GPUs are on their last legs, so I will probably need to spend money on them first.

I was just wondering if I can buy Windows 7 from the Microsoft Store and just buy the Upgrade version.

But I just read on the site:

Qualifying Operating System for purchase of Windows Upgrade License 

Windows Vista (32-bit or 64-bit) 
Business (N, K, KN) / NOTE: "N", "K", and "KN" are specialized editions available for certain markets 
Business Blade PC Edition 
Ultimate 
Home Premium 
Home Basic 

Windows XP (32-bit or 64-bit) 
XP Professional 
XP Tablet PC Edition 
XP Pro N 
XP Pro Blade PC Edition 
XP Home Edition 

So it guess it won't work.

"A lizard in the desert wouldn't eat that." ~Gordon Ramsay