Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Warning! Ubuntu Studio 15.4 CORRUPT!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:04 AM

i had ubuntu Studio 14.4 installed and got a message that an upgrade was available so i did it.It crashed my ubuntu studio completely. I then tryed to download the .iso and install it that way- to no avail- guess i should be more careful- it is a short term release(9) months wheras 14.4 has long term support.That was how i spent my evening- reinstalling Ubuntu Studio 14'4.and Thnk god for my recording backups- i would have really been in a mess.Right now I would like to hit someone in the face with a chair- but I will calm down- I know there are not a lot of you who don't use Ubuntu Studio but it is my favorite distro for music production! You guys be careful when upgrading or downloading an upgrade- I don't know why they do this when they know it doesn't work - ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 irvin_than_allyl

irvin_than_allyl

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:51 AM

Did you check the hash on the ISO?

OT: Have you ever used Cockos Reaper on Ubuntu Studio? The only thing preventing me from being on Linux and only Linux is Reaper. Sure, I game sometimes, but not all that often because it's a huge time sink of unproductivity for me.

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 02:37 PM

i did a checksum on the .iso but every Linux download with a few exceptions has worked perfectly- No more beta versions for me until i hear fom the community that they are good to go. I don't know what you mean by "check the hash"?And am not familiar with Cockos reaper---

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 03:54 PM

I don't know what you mean by "check the hash"

it means you did a checksum

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:06 PM

You can hash a file (eg an Ubuntu Studio ISO), then compare the outputted checksum (string of numbers and letters) to the one provided on the file download page. They should match. If they don't match, your file is corrupt or incomplete.

Hash a file using md5sum:

1. In terminal type:

md5sum /directory/file

(Substitute "/directory/" for the path to the file, and "file" for the filename.)

This will output the file's md5 checksum.

Hash a file using sha1sum:

1. In terminal type:

sha1sum /directory/file

(Substitute "/directory/" for the path to the file, and "file" for the filename.)

This will output the file's SHA-1 checksum.

Hash a file using sha256sum:

1. In terminal type:

sha256sum /directory/file

This will output the file's SHA-256 checksum.

Hash a file using sha512sum:

1. In terminal type:

sha512sum /directory/file

This will output the file's SHA-512 checksum.

Checksums For Ubuntu Studio 15.04:

- SHA-256 = http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/15.04/release/SHA256SUMS

- SHA-1 = http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/15.04/release/SHA1SUMS

- MD5 = http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/15.04/release/MD5SUMS

Related (Hashing Tools):

- GTKHash

- Quick Hash GUI

- Hashdeep

Edited by hollowface, 24 October 2015 - 04:25 PM.

#6 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:05 AM

i did the checksum guys- I am highly perturbed that ubuntu studio would put out an upgrade and then have it wreck your install- and I am doubly perturbed that they wouls post an .iso download that is corrupt--- i have gone back to 14.04 and there i will stay until they get their bleep together- I think it Highly unprofessional to behave in this manner- I mean- where is the Quality control in this - or do they just throw it out there- I am completely pissed about this- is anyone running this show?????????????????

#7 irvin_than_allyl

irvin_than_allyl

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:40 AM

So your checksum hash value didn't match? Try to download it again. I highly doubt they would post a corrupted ISO for people to download. It probably didn't download completely and your ISO is corrupted.

#8 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:29 PM

I said i checked the checksum - i will download it again and but it on another drive- I have had this happen with other .iso files for other linux distros- so yeah- they do post them online when they don't work---- I had a problem with Haze OS- did the same thing!

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,827 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:08 PM

they do post them online when they don't work-

No they do not.

#10 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:29 PM

Computer problems suck. :angry:

i have gone back to 14.04 and there i will stay until they get their bleep together

Can always stay with 14.04 until 16.04 is released, which is the next LTS (Long Term Support) release of Ubuntu.

i will download it again

Maybe try the 15.10 release instead which just came out 3 days ago; perhaps it will work properly since it is the most up-to-date. Besides, 15.04 support ends in January.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:07 PM

I looked around and see no others having issues?  Maybe folks are not Upgrading yet, and, it don't seem to be a big community of people posting on their forums-Ubuntu or Studio.  I think you were Brave to try the Upgrade LOL.  I would still be using Mint17 if I didn't break my installs and had to reinstall lol.  Sure you have these but just incase:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=335

https://ubuntustudio.org/2015/04/vivid-vervet-released/#comments

I've had many bad iso's and am sure it was due to a slight skip in the download.  I now use Down Them All Firefox Extension that cat1092 turned me onto, as you probably know by now.  It has it's own hashchecker and if there is a break in connection it will pause the download and restart when it is fixed.  I will double check the Hash if on a connection other than my home Ethernet with a very capable comcast connection.

I vote this the best Thread quote so far:  Computer problems suck.  :angry:

Edited by pcpunk, 25 October 2015 - 07:55 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#12 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:23 PM

No they do not.

With all due respect NickAU- Yes they do- it is not my first experience with a bad download- also- I am using Ubuntu Studio,not just Ubuntu. i should have looked closer anyway- Ubuntu Studio 15.04 only has 9 month support- whereas 14.04 is a LTS! I will try the download one more time- but on a testbed computer and not my main machine-

#13 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:31 PM

https://ubuntustudio.org/2015/04/vivid-vervet-released/#comments

Yeah PC- all was not lost as i have a multi-boot machine Win10/LinuxMintmate17.2/UbuntuStudio. i just wiped the partition and reinstalled 14.04 with no problems- and thank god i have backups of my music files.I was looking forward to the upgrade but I think i will stay with what i've got for the time being.!

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,827 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:42 PM

It only takes a few dropped packets to corrupt a download. You will find that the hosted image is fine, Its usually the Download manager or browser that to blame for a bad download.

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,095 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:47 PM

<snip>
No more beta versions for me <snip>

If it was a beta version, that right there tells me that is likely the source of your problems.

A beta version is put out for testing purposes, for people to use and find bugs and report them. You can expect to find bugs and problems in Beta versions of any OS or software. If you don't want to test OS's or software, then stick with final releases.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users