Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Here's a weird one, windows won't always start

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tehjoker14780

tehjoker14780

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:19 AM

Sometimes when I start my computer it gets to the start up screen (http://www1.pcmag.com/media/images/471642-1-speed.jpg?thumb=y) and the circle just stops rotating and the computer won't do anything from there. The mouse cursor still can be seen and moved at this time. I have been holding the power button to shut down then starting the computer back up, eventually I am able to fully start the computer. 

This started back when I had windows 7, but I just ignored it for awhile. After upgrading to windows 10 it still happened and I continued to ignore it. I have recently gone through the steps to completely reset windows, removing all personal files and whatnot, because of this, I assume the issue is hardware related, but I don't really know. Occasionally I am told there was an issue on startup upon trying to start it for the second time, at this point I am able to have the computer troubleshoot, but it always says the issue could not be resolved. 

Recently, and this may be unrelated, once I have been able to get to the desktop, I have been unable to interact with anything. I cannot open the start menu, nor can i open anything from the desktop or quickbar. When clicking icons at this point, they crate the normal blue outline as if I had clicked once, and the computer shows the loading icon around the cursor, but nothing happens. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 01:04 AM

Has it restarted or shut down by itself? Dead or dying bios battery would cause that. Could be that the hard drive is dying. If that is the case then you need to download the Windows media creation tool. Then create a windows iso to burn to disk. Then you boot from it to get to the tools you need to repair the system. Typically booting from a repair cd like that your hard drive letter will change. So you have to run a dir command on c , d ,e etc to find the drive which has \Windows on it. Then run chkdsk /f C: changing C: to the drive letter that has \Windows. If you can boot to the user login then to get to windows 10 repair tools you hold shift while you click on restart. That should retart you into the same tools to troubleshoot and repair windows. First try letting windows auto repair.

Edit: you may want to run chkdsk /d C: > C:\chkdsk.txt to record what has been repaired or fixed. If you have a usb stick you can use that and drop it on the usb stick and then share it here. Also, try running the command:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=D:\ /offwindir=D:\Windows

Be sure to replace D: with the proper drive letter.

Edited by technonymous, 24 October 2015 - 01:13 AM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:05 AM

In addition to technonymous' excellent advice, you may want to run these free hardware diagnostics to see if a problem is revealed:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users