Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to download large files (through certain applications) Please help!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 zjcanca092

zjcanca092

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:00 AM

Hi everybody! I have been having an issue where I cannot download large files (~larger than 400mb), and I could really use your help. I've tried many things, researched all over the place, and I can't figure it out. 

What happens if I download in any browser:
I start the download, everything works fine. It downloads fast and normally for about first 400 MB (varies, maybe +/- 100 MB). Suddenly, it decreases rapidly in speed, until it reaches 0 bytes/second. It then never picks back up again. In chrome, I get: "Unknown network error" even though I am connected to a very fast, very reliable network, and I have downloaded plenty of stuff before without changing a single part of the network.

What happens if I download in Utorrent:
No matter what I'm downloading, the availability, number of seeds, the size... it never gets above ~3kbs/second

What happens if I download in Steam:
exactly normal! ~1.5MB/second, and stays at that speed until fully downloaded.

My diagnosis:
I am almost positive that it has something do do with firewall/antivirus settings, or something of that sort. I had a bad virus, (slowed my computer down like CRAZY) but I took care of it with Malwarebytes and by downloading and running Microsoft Security Essentials. Immediately after I did this, everything was back to normal, and running at normal speed. BUT, this is also immediately when I started having this download issue. Also, because downloads work in Steam, I think it would make sense for it to be some antivirus setting or something because it could be specifically blocking things it doesn't think should happen. Any help with this? I've looked all over online, and although there isn't much about this, there is some... but they are all unsolved threads.

Also, my issue is very related to this thread (unsolved... yay >.<): http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2409341/download...

Sorry for this long message! Just trying to give all the information about it as I can to make as easy as possible for anybody willing to help. Thanks in advance guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 01:29 AM

Have you tried uninstalling utorrent? If you use utorrent and bittorrent don't. Use one or the other. The settings they use may be conflicting. Try updating utorrent.

#3 zjcanca092

zjcanca092
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:13 PM

I'll try updating utorrent if I can, but keep in mind... I downloaded perfectly fine with no errors until I ran/turned on Microsoft Security Essentials. Also, I don't use bittorrent.

#4 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:16 AM

Ehh, I wouldn't use new versions of utorrent, they added ads in the last year or 2 or whenever it was. Try qBittorrent.

You aren't choking your internet with something else like steam though right? Like if some program is using up all your speed, then another program can be choked out of it.

I'd stop using MSE and install Avast, but, admittedly I have to change like 30 settings in Avast to make it cool.

I would perhaps post in the Am I Infected forum, and then go through a more thorough cleaning in case something is still on your system causing this problem.

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:57 AM

Try disabling the Windows firewall temporarily and then check it the traffic goes through. I know there should be a entry for allowing incoming and outgoing traffic, but there may be a extra port that it needs to reach out to tracker servers. I am not sure you'll have to go over it's documentation.

Edited by technonymous, 25 October 2015 - 08:03 AM.

#6 zjcanca092

zjcanca092
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:04 PM

@sparkelstar, nope definitely not choking my internet with steam or anything, that isnt the problem im about 99.99% sure. I'll try taking MSE off though, since I also kinda think that could be it anyways. The timing of it is just too coincidental I think.

@techononymous I'll try the firewall suggestion if still not working after previous suggestion.

#7 zjcanca092

zjcanca092
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:39 PM

Ehh, I wouldn't use new versions of utorrent, they added ads in the last year or 2 or whenever it was. Try qBittorrent.

You aren't choking your internet with something else like steam though right? Like if some program is using up all your speed, then another program can be choked out of it.

I'd stop using MSE and install Avast, but, admittedly I have to change like 30 settings in Avast to make it cool.

I would perhaps post in the Am I Infected forum, and then go through a more thorough cleaning in case something is still on your system causing this problem.

This worked! Uninstalling MSE, that is. I don't know why it was affecting it, it was quite annoying. Also, just a note... I tried "disabling" it, by turning the active protection or whatever off, and it still wasn't working until I uninstalled completely. Just a note, that even when you do that it isn't completely disabled.

#8 zjcanca092

zjcanca092
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:48 PM

correction.... unfortunately only browser downloads of large files are working. utorrent still isn't working! D:

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:01 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#10 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:26 PM

Give qbittorrent a try, see if it has the same problem (to rule out utorrent itself as the problem). Now that you uninstalled MSE, make sure you are using *some* anti-virus software...

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:42 PM

correction.... unfortunately only browser downloads of large files are working. utorrent still isn't working! D:

So you got rid of MSE and it worked temporary and then suddenly went back to doing the same thing? Are you using a different firewall now or other software that's blocking it? Like Peer Gaurdian or something? Be sure to follow hamulis post. That can tell us a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users