Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to downgrade to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:21 PM

Hello,

I don't know how to downgrade to windows 7. I have tried using my Windows 7 disc, but it won't let me use it to go back. It has been months since i upgraded to windows 10, so i can't just revert back to windows 7 the easy way.  I am okay with deleting all of my stuff, I have my product key, and i just wan't to go back. Thanks for your help.

~Spencer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:02 AM

Depends on the Windows disk that you have.  Where did you get it from?  Is it an OEM disk or a Retail disk?  If it's an OEM disk, which manufacturer is it from?

In general, you boot from the W7 disk and let it (or you may have to tell it) to format your hard drive (or at least the partition that Windows is on).

Here's a nice page on how to do it:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/installing-reinstalling-windows#1TC=windows-7

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 02:29 PM

Depends on the Windows disk that you have.  Where did you get it from?  Is it an OEM disk or a Retail disk?  If it's an OEM disk, which manufacturer is it from?

In general, you boot from the W7 disk and let it (or you may have to tell it) to format your hard drive (or at least the partition that Windows is on).

Here's a nice page on how to do it:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/installing-reinstalling-windows#1TC=windows-7

I'm not sure if it's OEM or Retail. I made this disc myself. i burned something to this disc and it worked before. I can't boot from a disc at all. because when i change the boot device in the bios, it just won't let me select my disc drive. 

Edited by FU5R0D4H, 24 October 2015 - 02:32 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:44 PM

So where did you get the disk from?

Is this an illegal copy?  If so, I'm sorry to say that we can't continue to help you.

If this is a legitmate copy, you'll either be able to get a copy of the recovery media from the computer manufacturer.

Or, if it's a retail copy, you can get a copy from Microsoft.

If you're unable to boot from a disk, I'd suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:36 PM

So where did you get the disk from?

Is this an illegal copy?  If so, I'm sorry to say that we can't continue to help you.

If this is a legitmate copy, you'll either be able to get a copy of the recovery media from the computer manufacturer.

Or, if it's a retail copy, you can get a copy from Microsoft.

If you're unable to boot from a disk, I'd suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums.

Good luck!

Oh no. It's not illegal. It is just a copy of the operating system. it's not hacked or anything. i have to put in the Code to activate it. I learned how to burn the disc from the Microsoft website. It won't let me boot from my disc drive at all. Is there a way to go back to 7 any other way then a disc? Perhaps a download on the Microsoft website or anything? Thank you for your help.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:32 AM

On the disc drive

--- What happens when you try it with another disc?

--- It sounds to me like the recommendation to post in the Internal Hardware forum is an excellent idea

I have to admit I don't recall whether or not I remember this correctly from someone else's prior post who wanted to revert back to their prior OS from Windows 10.

--- What I don't recall either is whether or not it was past the 30 day period to revert the normal way

However I would consider it providing the Windows 10 has a system image backup

But then maybe you could wait a few days in case one of our experts comes in and says it won't work.

Press the proper function key (probably F11) for your make/model to see if the Windows 7 factory restore will work

--- If you need the product key you'll be fine since you know what it is.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:27 AM

This page will let you download a copy of W7 from Microsoft (under certain circumstances):  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,709 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:07 AM

John,

Thanks for that link.  Just a note is that one of the requirements is that you have a retail product key for Windows 7.  For amusement I just tried this using the product key that is on an OEM sticker on another laptop I have that came with Windows 7 Home Premium.  The site gives you a message when you attempt to verify the key that this appears to be an OEM installed Windows 7 and you need to go to your manufacturer's website for support.

I will have to try this again later with another product key I have for Windows 7 Ultimate that I bought at retail but that's an OEM version.  I presume I will get the same message.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#9 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:16 PM

This page will let you download a copy of W7 from Microsoft (under certain circumstances):  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

I entered my valid product key, and it told me that it is currently in use on my device. What should i do?

#10 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:29 PM

I have given up trying to downgrade. Microsoft is doing everything in it's power to keep me on windows 10 so i have decided I'll stick with Windows 10. Thank you for your help :)

#11 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:14 PM

The ultimate way to go back is to low-level reformat your hard drive including the MBR and then reinstall Windows 7 from ANY Windows 7 reinstallation disk, using your Win7 product key.  The latter step, you were told in this thread, but the former, wasn't expected.  It has to be done, because unless you reformat the drive, Windows 10 will keep on interfering.

Legally you can do this, per the Win10 EULA Paragraph 7 (which you can read in your \Windows\System32\license.rtf folder).

Then, once you've installed Windows 7, do the updates up to but not past, April 2015.  That month, is when the GWX gets started all over again.  At which point, you'll have to turn off Windows updates and do them manually, keeping an eye out for the GWX updates, which are provided by many here in BC so you can just Google on what those are.  (Google works better for searching BC posts than searching within BC.)

Edited by brainout, 28 October 2015 - 11:17 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 04:24 PM

The retail vs OEM key thing is because of the support commitments for each.

OEM's are responsible (per their EULA) for both certain support - and for enabling recovery/reinstallation.

Each OEM interprets this differently (within the terms of their EULA), so each one has a different way of fulfilling their requirements.

Some give the recovery media away for free, others charge for it.

Most will let you make recovery media (on an existing system) for free

But some will make you use their software, others will make you use the Microsoft software, while others will let you use both.

As a workaround, you may have been able to make an ISO of your disk, then use the Media Creation Tool to make a USB drive for it.

But, I'd also wonder why you can't boot from the disk - that suggests a problem with the system.

Good luck whichever way you choose to go.

#13 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:41 PM

"I can't boot from a disc at all. because when i change the boot device in the bios, it just won't let me select my disc drive."

--- We will need to know more information

However please try your Windows 7 boot disc on another computer

You don't have to complete the process, just find out whether or not your Windows 7 boot disc still works to ensure there aren't 2 problems

#14 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 401 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:54 AM

You can do a clean install of Windows 7 anytime you want to if you did not make an image of your Windows 7 version using a Program such as Macrium Reflect. Nothing or no one is forcing anyone to stay on the Train Wreck on an Operating system. If not for programs such as Classic Shell I would never have upgraded to it. I was in the Technical Preview Program and tested every build since build 9926 I think. I view an OS as a thing to use to get somewhere else, which any OS can do. I object very much to the lack of privacy and the way MS is now forcing Windows 10 on Windows 7 users. The only reason I am still on it is that it is great if you are a Gamer.

557851.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users