Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Annoying message continually repeating through speakers.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HarpLady

HarpLady

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:23 PM

Hi folks. My computer is a Mac, version 10.7.5
It's been runing slowly for a long time, and getting worse. I tried to fix it myself, and that worked for a little while.

Today it went berserk while I was on Youtube. It began to open widows, etc - and a window opened saying that I had a virus that was a security issue and included number to call for help. Now the computer keeps playing an "important security message" in a female voice through the speakers. I'd like to get control of my computer back. Thanks in advance for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:39 AM

Welcome to BC !

That's a scam ad....don't call the number...don't allow the scammer to remotely connect to your computer.

You've picked up some adware. You can try cleaning the computer's caches using CCleaner, uninstalling recently installed extensions or

completely reinstalling your browser. You can ask for help in the Mac Forum.....Mac OS

Piriform - CCleaner Mac

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 HarpLady

HarpLady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:07 PM

the whole computer has slowed down - even when the browser is closed and the  internet is disabled. Do you have a way to diagnose a virus which has perhaps gone beyond the browser and into the computer itself?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:54 PM

Have you done what I suggested....using CCleaner and reinstalling the browser? That works for a lot of adware that gets on Macs.

Other than that, like I suggested.... post in BC's Mac Forum that many Mac users follow. I'm not a Mac user.

There is this...AdwareMedic

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 HarpLady

HarpLady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 03:33 PM

Downloaded CCleaner and ran the program, and reinstalled Firefox. Firefox seems to be running faster, but I don't know if that's because the adware problem is resolved, or just the result of a clean install of Firefox.

I Could not run AdwareMedic because it requires 10.8.

Thanks for the help.

I still don't feel comfortable using my computer, because I don't know if the adware was found or removed. If you or anyone else could help diagnose the OS, I'd appreciate that. Thanks!

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:07 PM

Adware gets on your computer through downloads of just about every type. The most prevalent sources are free stuff such

as applications/ programs and browser add-ons. It was at one time rare to see adware on a Mac. Not any more even if you

only download from their store. Usually the suspect is the last thing you downloaded before the ads began to appear. It can also

appear after an update to an older program or add-on. Using P2Ps/ torrents are another source of adware when downloading free stuff

such as music, movies or cracked/ pirated applications.

If you are now not seeing ads then it is safe to assume the adware has been removed. But that doesn't mean it won't reappear

if you install the same add-ons, etc. that were removed during the reinstallation of your browser. If it does reappear check the 

list of extensions for the browser. Often it is just a matter of removing an extension to kill the ads. Often in Macs it is as simple

as emptying the browser's cache or running CCleaner to remove whatever it removes in a Mac.

#7 HarpLady

HarpLady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 10:57 PM

thank you for the help! The browser is running better since I reinstalled it.

I am still uncomfortable using my computer simply squashing whatever bug it was.  :\

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 04:06 AM

Like I said before....if you are not seeing ads then it is safe to assume the adware is history.

The safest route is to download applications from the Mac Store. Don't use P2Ps/ torrents to download free stuff like music, movies and cracked/ pirated stuff.

You're welcome...happy surfin'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users