Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A specific program keeps asking me to give it administrator permission hourly.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sting Chameleon

Sting Chameleon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:09 PM

Ever since installing Lightshot, which is a screen capturing program (I know others who use this, but the problem only seems to happen to me, so it's not a virus), the file which installs keeps asking me for administrator permission yet even when I do give it administrator permission nothing happens. I assume it's automatically opening itself... I've deleted the file where it came from (Temp folder) yet it still asks me for permission even after deleting it (from the same file location?), and it's really annoying as there doesn't seem to be any way to get rid of the said file nor block it from asking for permission. 

I run Windows 8 on a x64 processor. Can anyone help me? If need be, I can give the exact file location.

Edited by Sting Chameleon, 23 October 2015 - 09:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:05 AM

Just deleting a program is typically bad practice. Did you try uninstalling it first or check if there is a uninstaller program in it's files? It's probably to late to try revo uninstaller. That program works well with removing everyhing related to it even left over registry keys. Not sure exactly what process name is starting up asking you to run. You should be able to see it in task manager by hitting ctrl+shift+esc keys. it should open to processes tab. Click on the  name column at the top below the processes tab and it will catagorize everything into apps, background processes, windows processes. That helps determining what process group it is related to.

In the process tab you can right-click the running program and choose "Go to details" Note that it has highlighted the program in details tab. Write down the process ID (PID) right-click again and you have options to Open file location, go ahead and do that but do not delete any files just yet. Minmize the browser for now. Now right-click the service again & "Go to Services". What is the name and process description?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users