Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost freezing my computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lostoldman

lostoldman

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:07 PM

Hello, my computer started running very slow in early September, to the point it began freezing. I restarted it.

I checked the task-manager and it said the CPU Usage was at 100%, though I had no programs open. So I clicked the "show processes from all users" to check what was taking up the CPU and it says the svchost.exe was using 98-99 of the CPU. The computer felt like it was running hot but now it isn't, though it begins to freeze every 30 minutes; So now I've been selecting the svchost.exe and ending its process. The computer runs smooth but the display and audio suffer.

I am using Windows 7 Home, Service Pack 1, 64 bit OS.

My computer use to have Kaspersky, and its search found nothing. I no longer have Kaspersky on the computer so I installed malwarebytes and ran it in safe mode a couple of times but nothing was found. I then installed from a friend, System Mechanic Professional, and let it "clean up" some things including registry issues but that didn't solve anything. Next I tried tdsskiller but nothing was found with that either. I followed the advice of the pinned thread "Slow Computer?" and defraged the computer and selected the "error-checking" tool. Still didn't help.

Now I'm not sure if my computer is infected or not.

Edited by lostoldman, 23 October 2015 - 05:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 06:28 AM

Check out the info in this link for finding the problem. Figuring out why my SVCHOST.EXE is at 100% CPU without complicated tools in Windows 7 - Scott Hanselman

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 lostoldman

lostoldman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 03:10 PM

Thank you for the link.

I was able to narrow down which svchost was causing the problem (svchost.exe -netsvcs) and even further to wuauserv as the culprit. I restarted the service and the CPU usage went down to its usual percentage.

As I was typing this post (10 mins.), the cpu went back to 98-100% by the svchost.exe (netsvcs) wuauserv. The computer didn't freeze though, so I'm not sure if I should repeat the restart process or leave it be. If the computer isn't freezing or grinding to a halt, it should be fine right?

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 03:21 PM

Hi lostoldman :)

If the wuauserv (Windows Update) service is causing you trouble, you should start by manually checking for Windows Updates and if any are found (that are relevant), install them. 100% CPU usage caused by svchost (wuauserv) isn't uncommon, it usually means that Windows Updates are pending to be installed or checked for.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 lostoldman

lostoldman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for the advice, I looked and found some updates that needed to be installed (some were not installed properly). My computer hasn't frozen on me and everything seems to be working fine, so I believe its safe to say that was the issue and not malware.

Thank you Aura and Buddy215! :)

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:26 PM

No problem lostoldman, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:38 AM

My granddaughter had the same 'problem'.....having automatic updates enabled and not allowing the computer to finish the downloads and installing.

My solution for her after clearing up the mess was to turn off automatic updating and reminding her once a month to check for updates....

I don't allow auto updating for my Windows, either. For the same reason and another reason being that on occassion Windows releases bad updates

which seem to get caught within a day. So, I prefer to wait more than that to update.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users