Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Hewlett Packard by wrong, or did Malwarebytes miss it?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 funnierthanme

funnierthanme

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:27 PM

I couldn't get the error message about corrupt or tampered files to go away and several involved Hewlett Packard, so today I called HP to see if they could help me with at least those tasks so I could delete them. 

Their technician ran a scan of my computer and told me I am infected with a Trojan and offered their services to remove it and install an encrypted firewall for about $500.00.  He based his findings on my screen changing from black and white readings to black and red about three weeks ago.

HP wants about $500 to fix my computer and install an encrypted firewall.  I can't afford that.   He says I can throw my computer away and buy a new one, but the hackers have my IP address and that's why I need the encrypted firewall.  To buy an encrypted firewall can cost (according to him) from $800 to $2,000).

I ran a Malwarebytes deep scan after I hung up from talking to HP and it could find 0 infections. 

Who do I believe? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:43 PM

Definitely not HP. Tech support people are actually sales people these days. $500 for an "encrypted firewall"? Whaaa? Sounds like BS to me. Also he quoted two different prices for an "encrypted firewall". Sounds more like they want to scare you into buying a new computer, since their cheap computers can cost much less than $500.

Corrupted files are not necessarily caused by malware, it could be any number of issues. I don't know why a virus would go after HP software in the first place. Have somebody here go over your computer for viruses. Once that is done, then you can tackle any remaining issues.

#3 funnierthanme

funnierthanme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:23 PM

How do I get someone here go over my computer?

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:32 PM

I think you are already doing it. BC techs are not unlimited so it may take them some time to respond. If nobody responds today, just reply to this topic with something like:

"HALP! HP support is weird and I need a virus scan!"

Good luck!

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:33 PM

funnierthanme....someone was attempting to scam you. There has been several scams reported here at BC recently.

If you saw this error message in a popup, did it contain a phone number?

Please give the phone number you called and the website you got the phone number from.

Have you allowed someone to remotely connect to your computer....seems you have.

If you gave your credit card info to the scammer, you can contest it with the CC provider. The sooner the better.

You should use the programs below to find and remove the cause of the error message.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.
  • download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message
  • Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
  • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.
  • NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.

Edited by buddy215, 23 October 2015 - 04:37 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 funnierthanme

funnierthanme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:54 PM

The only error message I ever received was that the task image was corrupt or tampered with.  I called Hewlett Packard from a number I found on Google.  When I talked to them and said I would have to discuss it with my husband first, he gave me a phone number to call back on that is 877-352-9004.  I haven't tried it.  His name is Jay.  It might be legit, might not.  I don't know.  I didn't give my6 credit card number to him. 

Could he have caused the pages of my computer to turn red and black to scare me?

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,398 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:42 PM

If you do a search using that phone number you will see it has been used in multiple scams. If the scammer was allowed to remotely

access your computer and was on your computer when remotely connected....then it is possible the scammer did something to convince you

of a problem.

I suggest you run the scans as I am not sure if the error message you saw was legit or not since the message did not have a phone number included.

Did it have a link to click on? That would be another clue if it was part of scam.

If that was a legit error message and the scans find nothing,  then I have found a fix for you. Read the info in the link below to see if you would be comfortable following those directions.

Fix The Task Image Is Corrupt Or Has Been Tampered With Errors - gHacks Tech News

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 funnierthanme

funnierthanme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:07 AM

I've run Malwarebytes and Norton Security again this morning and Malwarebytes found no infections.  However, I used Norton's Power Eraser and it removed one file and fixed another.  I couldn't begin to identify what they were, but I feel comfortable that they were were necessarily removed and repaired.  I ran the task manager again, though, and I still get the "corrupt" error.  I have called my computer shop to see if they can handle this for me.  I tried the gHacks method and that didn't work for me either. 

I did do a search on the phone number the person I thought I called at Hewlett Packard left me.  I feel so stupid. 

Edited by funnierthanme, 24 October 2015 - 09:09 AM.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,398 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:03 AM

I would think that the error message gave a specific file that was causing the error/ corrupt. If you see that message again and does give

a specific location/ file name/ program I may be able to help you to fix it.

Yep, the scammers are prevalent. You could of searched for help in fixing any computer brand and gotten a ton of scammers claiming to

be just what you are looking for. The internet is a cruel...heartless world. At least you didn't buy what they were selling.

EDIT: If you didn't notice when searching the phone number....One person using that number was arrested last year....Virginia USA Timeshare News: December 6, 2014 | Timeshare Insiders' Blog | The GateHouse

Edited by buddy215, 24 October 2015 - 10:06 AM.

#10 funnierthanme

funnierthanme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:43 AM

When I saw that it was a Vacation deal, I just shook my head and stopped searching.  Last check, there are 48 files corrupted.  After while, there may be more.  Last week there were "only" 41.  As I  look over the Microsoft Community Forums, there are hundreds of people just like me with the same error.  Evidently, it's nothing I have done, or it's something I did that was so innocent anyone could have done it at anytime.  The comments state that if it isn't fixed, in the long run it will cause your computer to eventually to crash.

My computer repair shop says they can fix it if it isn't too complicated.  I personally don't think it's a Trojan virus at this point now.  My computer has scanned itself to exhaustion and can't find anything else it can fix on it's own.

No matter how many methods I try, as soon as I get close to the registry, I get the window with the error message that the task image is corrupt and when I try to X it off, it only brings up the list of tasks one by one until it goes through all 48 and then I can close it out.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:50 AM

Can you backup your data partition?  Or, your data, pics, etc. folders and files?  --Before bringing your computer to a local computer shop.  Reason for asking:  my local computer shop fixed my Windows 7 [I thougth it was hardware]; I lost functionality of a few important security and other programs.  Thankfully, a restore put me back in business.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#12 funnierthanme

funnierthanme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:04 PM

All I know about backup is to go the control panel and under System and Security, click Backup your Computer.  I don't know how to separate anything out of that.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:49 PM

All I know about backup is to go the control panel and under System and Security, click Backup your Computer.  I don't know how to separate anything out of that.

Can you backup onto an external hard-drive?  That's much better than not backing up at all  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#14 funnierthanme

funnierthanme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:57 PM

I don't have one.

#15 funnierthanme

funnierthanme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 01:04 PM

Everything that I want to backup is on floppy disk or a memory card or even in my paper files in my filing cabinet.  My computer is just a really convenient place to have everything at my fingertips.  There are probably somethings Windows would backup that I don't know about. In fact, I'm sure of it. But if I lose things I don't know about and have to reinstall Windows OS at some point, I'm sure Microsoft will sell me the program to do it.  I don't mean to be taking this lightly, but if my computer shop can't fix it, I'll just have to resign myself to the fact that it can't be fixed.

I want to thank everyone for their input, though.  I sure know a lot about the inside of my computer and I've learned my lesson about downloading registry cleaners--a big no-no.

Edited by funnierthanme, 24 October 2015 - 01:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users