Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Device Not Working (Unknown USB Device)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Vanch

Vanch

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:14 PM

Hey guys, I have a bit of a problem I was hoping you could help me with.

PC Specs

OS - Windows 8.1 Pro (64 Bit)
CPU - 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5-2500k
Video Card - nVidia GeForce GTX 570
Ram - 8gb

I'm using a wireless gaming receiver so that I can connect my wireless xbox controller to the PC.  This has never been a problem in the past and it's been working fine.  I just plug the receiver in and Windows automatically installs drivers for it.  But for some reason today I plugged the receiver in and it said "USB Device Not Recognized".

When I go to Device Manager it shows the following and the device status says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)":

Untitled.png

Would very much appreciate some help with this.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:28 PM

Do other USB devices work in that particular USB port?  If yes, dunno.  If no, port needs troubleshooting.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:47 PM

Could be that receiver is bad or dying. But it could also be a software related issue.

When you said "wireless gaming receiver" what do you mean? The USB receiver you get with the xbox 360 controller? Or a different product? If it is different, tell us exactly what product it is so we can research it.

#4 Vanch

Vanch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:53 PM

Do other USB devices work in that particular USB port?  If yes, dunno.  If no, port needs troubleshooting.

Yes.

Could be that receiver is bad or dying. But it could also be a software related issue.

When you said "wireless gaming receiver" what do you mean? The USB receiver you get with the xbox 360 controller? Or a different product? If it is different, tell us exactly what product it is so we can research it.

466255_140304141140_1230485_110406170837

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:59 PM

Looks generic. Does it have a brand name? Looking at the reviews of it on Amazon it seems there are a number of cheap knock-offs going around. The packaging you have looks like one of the knock-offs.

Amazon Review - Notice the packaging in this review. 

Edited by Gorbulan, 23 October 2015 - 04:01 PM.

#6 Vanch

Vanch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:02 PM

It's not that exact one in the picture.  I'm basically just letting you know that's what I meant by wireless gaming receiver.

Then again, I AM using a knock off version anyway.  But as mentioned, it's always worked in the past up until now :/

Got it off ebay, doesn't have a brand name or anything.

Edited by Vanch, 23 October 2015 - 04:03 PM.

#7 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:09 PM

Yep, appears to be a total knock off by some unamed company.

Counterfeit Xbox 360 Wireless Drivers

Fake Microsoft XBox 360 wireless controller adapter in Windows 7 64-bit

Apparently, the actual genuine X360 controller for Windows does not come with a wireless adapter. Or maybe only the knock offs do. Hard to tell since there are a lot of these things on the market right now. eBay won't care, but Amazon might. 

It's not that exact one in the picture.  I'm basically just letting you know that's what I meant by wireless gaming receiver.

Then again, I AM using a knock off version anyway.  But as mentioned, it's always worked in the past up until now :/

Got it off ebay, doesn't have a brand name or anything.

Well, in that case it seems your device has died, because it is cheap. Put it in another computer if you can and see what happens. If it does not work there then you can consider it dead.

#8 Vanch

Vanch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:11 PM

Cheers for doing all that research.

I'll go try the receiver in another PC and report back here in an hour or so as I'll have to go down the road to my friend's house to try it.

Edited by hamluis, 28 October 2015 - 05:43 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#9 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:33 PM

You're welcome. Good luck!

#10 Vanch

Vanch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:51 PM

Yeah, turns out the receiver itself was faulty.  Tried it in a different PC and got the same reaction.

Ah well, thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users