Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email spam

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:44 PM

I know this is rather basic. It is something I have left alone for a long time and now think I ought to see if there is anything I can do about it. I have two email programs both of which I have used for quite a long time. One, Outlook, has never had any spam mail. The other, Thunderbird, gets 30 to 40 spam mails each day. Because of this I have been gradually switching over to Outlook, although I prefer the functionality of Thunderbird.

Why are they so different? I have not to my knowledge done anything different, although the addresses are different. 

Is there anything I can do to cut down the spam received by Thunderbird?  Of course I delete all the spam, it is a daily ritual and I never open or reply to them. Very rarely I am caught out. Quite a lot of the spam appears to be scams or worse. Thunderbird helpfully tags almost all the spam with 'Bulk'.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 23 October 2015 - 01:53 PM.
Moved from Windows 10 to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:24 PM

I've been using Thunderbird for some time now, and like you, I was deleting spam every day.   Finally, because Thunderbird JunkFolder-parks emails Marked As Junk -- at least once for every original sender, I click Mark and then [Mark] as Junk.  It's a never-ending process, I have 150+ rules "marked as Junk."  While the spam still exists on the AT&T email server, again: Thunderbird JunkFolder-parks Marked As Junk.  Received a lot less spam this year -- why?  I dunno.

Edited by RolandJS, 23 October 2015 - 02:53 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,838 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:25 PM

The presence or absence of spam e-mail has absolutely nothing to do with your e-mail client (except, perhaps, its ability to catch spam and move it to the appropriate folder).  Virtually all learn how to more effectively classify spam as you mark individual messages as spam (many also send the filtering information that is created via this mechanism back to their makers so that it can be added to existing spam classification systems that get shipped with the client).

Most spam comes from how your respective e-mail addresses have "been exposed" over time in public venues and if you've used them very often in commercial transactions (or when contributing to charities).  It is very common practice for certain businesses to share, rent, or sell e-mail address lists to other businesses who wish to use same for marketing (read: spam to most of us) practices.

Try switching the e-mail address that you currently access via Thunderbird to Outlook and vice versa and you're not likely to see any general change in what the spam volume is based on your chosen e-mail client.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,838 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:29 PM

I've been using Thunderbird for some time now, and like you, I was deleting spam every day.   Finally, because Thunderbird does not download emails Marked As Junk -- at least once for every original sender, I click Mark and then [Mark] as Junk.  It's a never-ending process, I have 150+ rules "marked as Junk."  While the spam exists on the AT&T email server, again: Thunderbird doesn't download Marked As Junk.  Received a lot less spam this year.

I cannot emphasize enough that RolandJS follows the correct practice, "Marking as spam/junk," rather than just deleting said messages.  I do not know of a contemporary e-mail client (or even web-based e-mail presentation manager) that does not rely on users doing a marking as spam/junk to help build the database used to classify a given incoming message correctly.  There will be things that your ISP may not be categorizing as junk that does get downloaded, but that your e-mail client does then recognize as "junk to you" and immediately places it in the "appropriate receptacle" for said messages.

A straight delete does not have this effect, so if you want your e-mail client to get better and better at knowing what you consider to be junk/spam use its marking feature!!

Edited by britechguy, 23 October 2015 - 02:31 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:56 PM

britechguy, I had to go back and correct an error I made about t-bird:   I should have said t-bird doesn't download into the Inbox, rather, t-bird saves Marked As Junk to its Junk folder.

Edited by RolandJS, 23 October 2015 - 02:57 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:48 PM

Just FYI - my wife uses Outlook and get's SPAM galore

I use Thunderbird and it's rare for me to see SPAM.

The difference is that (as the others) I mark SPAM as SPAM - and use strict rules to enforce it.

Each of my mail accounts (I have 11 or 12) has a webmail interface, and that's what I use to "mark as SPAM" - that way it never gets to my computer.

I also use an email checker (PopPeeper) to screen my emails before I let them into my inbox.

As I manage most emails from this program, I only need to import stuff to my real inbox every month or two.

Finally, I jealously guard my email address and don't give it out to anyone without a genuine need.

I have throw-aways to use, and I will make something up rather than submit to be coerced to give up my email.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:46 AM

Hi

Thanks for all the contributions.

First, I did not mean to suggest that the two different email clients were responsible for the different experience. In fact rather the reverse, I am puzzled by the fact that my similar treatment of emails has such different results despite the fact that I assumed the clients functioned in a similar way to each other.

Second, Thunderbird which gets all the emails does mark all (almost) of the spam as 'bulk' plus adds an icon against each representing 'Junk' and they all go to the same Junk folder (just by clicking on the icon). I have been sending many of the same emails to the Junk folder since the end of last year. It would be an improvement if Thunderbird could be configured to send them to the Junk folder automatically but I have not found a way to do that. There is the risk that non-spam might be sent there but I have not so far found Thunderbird to make many mistakes (though I believe that does often happen, but I rarely have to uncheck something).

As for how Outlook handles spam I do not know, because I have never had a spam email in my Outlook inbox! It is this remarkable difference between the two accounts which I find so surprising. I get unwanted emails in Outlook of course, but not spam. (Yet)

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:04 AM

The only automatic t-bird does:  once you have flagged, Marked As Junk, a specific email address, that specific email address' emails go right into the Junk folder.

There are 3rd party overlays [programs] that report to do what you want -- I have not tried them.

#9 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:15 AM

Here is some things perhaps you can help me with in relation to Outlook. I want to change some settings for Files but for the life of me I cannot find Files and its Options. I have a description of the changes I want to make (from a magazine), from Files onwards but after having clicked everything in sight over and over again I have not found Files. I have found Settings and Options in that, and Options in the top 'Ribbon' but no sign of Files in either. Where is this item?

One of the reasons why I have been slow to take on Outlook rather than continue with Thunderbird is that I have had difficulties like this with it. People and Contacts for example. Who dreamed up 'People'? it never struck me as what I should be looking for when I wanted to find, what I would call, 'Contacts' or 'Addresses'. I often found things I wanted (such as how to import addresses) mainly by using Windows Live Mail which I think is a superior email client, but it never caught on. I found changes made in Live Mail were reproduced (synced) in Outlook. That is now water under the bridge.

Secondly, should I need it, can I mark email as spam in Outlook, as I do in Thunderbird? If so, how?

#10 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:17 AM

By the way, as I have said, I do flag spams as junk repeatedly but they do not go to the Junk folder automatically in my Thunderbird.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:31 AM

By the way, as I have said, I do flag spams as junk repeatedly but they do not go to the Junk folder automatically in my Thunderbird.

I doublechecked my t-bird, Marked As Junk can be sent to one of three places:

Junk folder [local folder]

folder of your choosing [u-create, u-name, u-choose]

right to the trashcan

Edited by RolandJS, 26 October 2015 - 09:31 AM.

#12 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:37 AM

Thanks, I will look again more carefully at the options in Thunderbird.

In the past few hours I have learned more about Outlook Mail. I had not realised there are two significantly different email programs, Microsoft Outlook (or Mail app) and Outlook.com.  I had assumed that the latter was just the online version of the former but now know differently, and it seems Microsoft Outlook (or Mail app) is not very well regarded. It can deal with spam, in a way as far as I can see Microsoft Outlook does not. 

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,838 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:56 PM

clayto,

There are a very wide number of spam filters of different types for use with e-mail clients.  I used Popfile for years in front of Outlook and a number of other e-mail clients.  It is not the easiest thing in the world to configure, but it is an incredibly powerful spam filter.

I believe there also exist a number of paid and open-source plug-ins that can be used with MS-Outlook (at least through the Office 2013) to integrate a good spam classification mechanism.

~ Lauren Bacall

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:23 AM

To me, spam filtering is an ongoing art, it is not a "set it and forget it."  I constantly add a few more email addresses to my filter-bucket.  When I first started using the bucket, I had bunches of addresses to put in.

#15 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:18 PM

I thought I would update a couple of points on this, if anyone is still interested. We agreed that the fact that I get lots of spam junk in my Thunderbird account and little or none in my Outlook / Mail account(s) has nothing to do with the two different clients, but is due to the different addresses they use.  However, I created a new account in Mail with the same address as in Thunderbird. The result is that while the Thunderbird address continues to get (increasing numbers of) spam email, the Mail client with the same address (and the Outlook.com account too) gets none. Why?

Secondly, it was suggested I could alter the settings in Thunderbird to send spam (which is mostly marked with a spam icon) directly to the Junk / Trash folders. I was just about to do this when a new class of emails started arriving marked with the spam icon. They are from Bleeping Computer, notifying me that there has been a reply to a thread I am following. I must have clicked on that option though I do not remember it. I find it useful and don't want to risk loosing notifications from Bleeping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users