Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 not a genuine copy.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mark15

Mark15

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:14 AM

Getting the Windows 7 not a genuine copy.message and a black screen, about 2 monthe ago after trying Windows 10 tried to go back to Windows 7, P C then refused to work, tried a fresh install with the windows 7 disk that came with the PC (Brand new disk unopened), but that would not work, kept stating....startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically, then tried the Windows 7 disk from daughters laptop and that did the trick, any help how to get rid of this messge.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:25 AM

Even if your daughter's laptop...is exactly the same as yours...using that as installation media should provoke that error message.

License mismatch...for OEM system.  The license on the install disk does not match the license for your system.

System manufacturer and model...for each system you have mentioned, please?

Louis

#3 Mark15

Mark15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:09 AM

Daughter is a Samsung laptop, mine a Dell Optiplex  PC.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,277 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:07 PM

Definite mismatch...I don't either Samsung or Dell...would be happy to know that their license is being used on a system built by a manufacturing competitor...and I'm sure that Microsoft would not like seeing Samsung licenses on Dell systems.  Such violates the terms of sale/use between MS and those corporations.

Louis

#5 Mark15

Mark15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for the reply, as the disk supplied would not reinstall Windows that is why I used my daughters disk, I did not realise that would be a problem as all as been fine until now, I have tried the disk that was supplied and it will not load, I do have the licence key / number that I used when I first used the PC, is there anything I can do with that ??.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,277 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:59 PM

Contact Microsoft by phone...with all data available...and tell them the story.  That's what I would do.  If you provide them with a valid key via phone, they can correct the invalid key now on record in the system.  I've had them do so for me when I inadvertently used one of several valid licenses I have...on the wrong system.

Louis

#7 Mark15

Mark15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:21 PM

OK set the PC to boot from cd drive and put the disk supplied with the PC in, gave me 2 options, upgrade or fresh install, decided to come back here for advise, when the pc rebooted got a message asking for the product key, inserted that and it came up verified, so looks all OK now.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,277 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:20 PM

Cliche Time:  All's well that ends well :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users