Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With New Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:53 AM

This is driving me nuts. I recently upgraded my computer with a new motherboard and processor so I could give Windows 10 a try.

I had been using an old Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard and upgraded it to a AMD Bulldozer FX-8120.

The problem is that although I can understand that there might be a compatibility issue preventing me from installing Windows XP using the new motherboard. It starts to install Windows XP but half way through I get the blue screen of death and that ends the installation.

But when I format that drive and try to install Windows 7 all I get is NTDR is missing.

If I go back to the old Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard with the same formatted drive it installs Windows 7 without any problem at all.

Why is that?

To tell you the truth I expected the new motherboard to install anything including Windows XP, just like my old motherboard.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Highjinks

Highjinks

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:32 PM

Edited - Never mind i misread the post. 

What motherboard are you using with that CPU, and have you updated the BIOS at all? Also how are you trying to do the install the operating systems?

Edited by Highjinks, 23 October 2015 - 04:38 PM.

#3 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 06:50 AM

Sorry, thought I had included the motherboard, it is a ASUS M5A78L-M, and no I have not updated the BIOS. I did consider doing that but it recommends making a backup of the original BIOS before updating it. I have not yet found out how to do that.

As for the installing the operating systems, I have always done that by just started the computer with the installation disk. The difference being the condition of the hard drive I am installing it on. If the HD is new there is no problem installing Windows 7, only with Windows XP. When the hard drive has already been used, if I just format the drive, then I get the missing NTDR. If I delete the partition altogether it tells me there is no HD available.

#4 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:50 AM

Maybe a UEFI secure boot problem?

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 06:18 PM

How come you are trying to install windows xp? It is outdated and vulnerable. However, there are a couple of reasons that it could blue screen.

1. Windows can't find drivers for your motherboard because it is too new.

2. The installation media is scratched or damaged.

Edited by Captain_Chicken, 25 October 2015 - 06:18 PM.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:21 PM

Well to tell you the truth, I think XP is one of the best operating system Microsoft have ever produced. Its so easy to use.

Anyway, I think your right about my motherboard being too new for Windows XP. It is definitely not a scratched or damaged disk because it still installs perfectly on my old motherboard.

What bothers me the most is not being able to install Windows 7. I have to do that on my old motherboard too, then transfer it to the new motherboard to have the drivers installed.

#7 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:15 AM

Unless you have a retail "boxed" copy of windows it is bound to the motherboard and you can't transfer it. What stops you from installing win 7 on the new motherboard?

Edited by Captain_Chicken, 27 October 2015 - 07:15 AM.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:06 AM

Think I may have solved this problem. It seems that although my DVD drive is still working, It does not recognise all DVDs.

#9 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:03 AM

Ok. Thanks for posting the solution, it helps us all😁!

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:14 PM

FWIW:  This system has same board.  No need to update BIOS to install either XP or Win 7.  I formerly used same processor, later changed to FX-8320 which is currently installed.  Little difference.

If you are trying to dual-boot XP and Win 7...install XP first on a clean drive, then install Win 7 after you have verified that the XP install boots properly.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users