Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Build 7601 This copy of Windows is not genuine

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 m_abel1

m_abel1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:10 AM

Hello,

Current version - Windows 7 SP1

I read various forum responses on this subject and tried them.  I was able to get the problem go away 4 times (45 days each between each time) by using SLMGR -REARM or SLMGR /REARM and the SkipRearm count change from 0 to 1.  This time when the problem appeared, I tried them all.  Nothing works.  I bought the Lenovo ThinkCenter M Series desktop from CDW 3 years ago (well, 3 years and 5 months).  Lenovo wanted $$$ to fix the problem and CDW tells me that the Windows 7 license was only for 3 Years and is expired and I need to buy a new license for Windows 7 or an uplevel OS.  Well, I never had any OEM license run out on me after 3 years since I usually use my computers for 5 years minimum.   Is there any fix to this problem?  Or, am I in the fix to spend money and buy a new license? 

I cannot even get the Windows 10 Free upgrade.  Even when the problem did not exhibit (through the fix applied), I could not get Windows 10.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Mark.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:48 AM

For clarification purposes...Microsoft issues licenses...they issue volume licenses to entities like Lenovo, Dell, etc...which are then transferred to the systems sold to the public.

IMO...contacting anyone other than Microsoft about product activation/license issues...is a waste of time.

If you have a valid license, Microsoft is the agency to contact.

No license to operate Windows...has an expiration date of any sort, AFAIK.  My old Win 95/98 licenses to install/use those versions...are just as valid today as they were when issued.  Perhaps CDW was referring to their stated period for dealing with warranty/system issues on products sold to consumers (just a guess) when they mentioned a 3-year period.

Louis

#3 m_abel1

m_abel1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:57 AM

Thanks Louis.  I never had license expiration issues before either.  This is something different and no one seems to know how to fix it.  Microsoft will require support fee to do anything anyways. 

To be clear, CDW was talking about expired license for Windows 7 and that they wont provide any support with the issue but can sell me a new license. 

Regards,

Mark.

#4 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:04 AM

m_able1,

I agree with Louis. The only people you really need to talk to are Microsoft. I have never heard of Microsoft licenses expiring (unless it is a TechNet trial license). Full retail and OEM licenses do not expire. If you have your data backed up and you just need the OS activated, I would boot to your installation media (if you don't have it you can buy it from Lenovo) and re-install the OS. After you reinstall the OS and enter your product key it will ask you to activate by Internet. You can try and if it fails, try to activate by phone. Talking to Microsoft on the phone to activate an OS does not cost you anything. If you have data on the computer you need, I would consider plugging the drive into a second computer or using a USB to SATA/IDE adapter to transfer your files and then reinstalling your OS on the hard drive.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:45 AM

When you get this message do you have a black desktop background and the message This copy of Windows is not genuine in lower right corner?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:17 PM

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/248453-another-windows-7-build-7601-copy-windows-not-genuine.html

NoelDP, sevenforums has this batchfile:

echo on

sc create sppsvc binPath= %SystemRoot%\System32\sppsvc.exe DisplayName= "Software Protection" depend= Rpcss start= delayed-auto obj= "NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService" password= ""

sc privs sppsvc SeAuditPrivilege/SeChangeNotifyPrivilege/SeCreateGlobalPrivilege/SeImpersonatePrivilege

sc sdset sppsvc D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWRPLOCRRC;;;IU)(A;;CCLCSWRPLOCRRC;;;SU)(A;;LCRP;;;AU)S:(AU;FA;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;WD)

sc sidtype sppsvc UNRESTRICTED

net start sppsvc
sc qc sppsvc
sc queryex sppsvc
sc qprivs sppsvc
sc qsidtype sppsvc
sc sdshow sppsvc

pause
exit

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#7 m_abel1

m_abel1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:48 PM

Thanks @Packetanalyzer

I do not have an installation media since it came pre-configured.  

Yes @dc3, I get a black desktop background and the message at the bottom right corner. 

I did call Lenovo and spoke to HW group and SW group.  Both wants money since it is longer than 3 years since I bought desktop.  HW group wants $45 but the desktop will be re-imaged.  Not a fan of this. 

SW group wants either $199 or $129 depending on which support option I choose. 

I will give a shot at RolandJS' suggestion above.  Thanks @RolandJS

Edited by m_abel1, 23 October 2015 - 06:56 PM.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:28 AM

I do not see a mention of a COA sticker, look on the case for a with a key on it.  I believe it should have come with one and should be relayed to the MS tech you speak with.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:49 AM

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png, the type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

CMD will appear in the results above the search box, right click on it and select Run as administrator.

When the Command Prompt opens copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

rsop.msc

This will open RSOP (Resultant Set Of Policy) window.

When RSOP opens go to Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/System Services

Scroll down to Plug and Play.  Under Startup this should be set to Not Defined, if it is not double click on it and set the startup type to Automatic.

Go back to the Command prompt and copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

gpupdate /force 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 m_abel1

m_abel1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:30 PM

@OldPhil --  There were no stickers or documents indicating a Windows OS product key.

@ dc3  --  I will try this and let you know what happens. 

#11 m_abel1

m_abel1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:45 PM

@dc3 --  Tried your suggestion.  Did not work. 

At this point, I tried all suggestions and recommendations from this forum and other forums.  Nothing seems to work.  So, I am buying a Windows10 upgrade for $119 from Amazon and be done with it.  Thanks for all the help from all.  Appreciate it very much. 

Somehow, the product key is corrupted.  I wanted to try Windows Loader by Daz for Windows 7.  Decided not to since I am not sure the copy I download will be clean.  Scared of virus injected Daz loaders out there.  Anyways, Windows 10 it is for me now. 

Be well, be blessed...

Mark.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:57 AM

I wish you the best of luck. :thumbup2:

#13 sbleepingsteve

sbleepingsteve

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:47 AM

It may be a little out dated but thanks - ARCHI..... your suggestions and a restart worked for me. All is well with the world.

Peace.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:18 PM

Indeep... PAX

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users