Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot after ram upgrade and CMOS reset

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gonemad

Gonemad

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:47 AM

Hello all, I have an old HP motherboard that I just upgraded the ram in and then reset the CMOS. Now, when it boots, it counts the new amount of ram in the post screen and finishes with a screen about configuration changes, press F1 to save changes. My problem is, it seems like it's not recognizing my keyboard or something because pressing F1 does nothing, I cannot boot into setup with the F10 method. It does this even when I put the old ram back in I'm guessing because the cmos has been reset. Anyone have any ideas to possibly get past this. Thanks.

As a reference, here is what the screen looks like.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:54 AM

If your PC has a PS2 keyboard port available & you are using a USB keyboard then try using a PS2 keyboard.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:26 AM

Yes, the commonest cause for this is using a USB keyboard after a BIOS reset, which on a lot of older boards causes the Legacy USB Support to default to off. In this eventuality you need to use a PS/2 or COM port serial keyboard to enter the BIOS and turn USB support back on.

Incidentally, if there was no other issue requiring a BIOS reset, it should not have been necessary to do that for a RAM upgrade.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Gonemad

Gonemad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:43 AM

Yes, the commonest cause for this is using a USB keyboard after a BIOS reset, which on a lot of older boards causes the Legacy USB Support to default to off. In this eventuality you need to use a PS/2 or COM port serial keyboard to enter the BIOS and turn USB support back on.

Incidentally, if there was no other issue requiring a BIOS reset, it should not have been necessary to do that for a RAM upgrade.

Ok, thanks, I will have a look around for a true ps2 KB. 

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:23 AM

Hello all, I have an old HP motherboard that I just upgraded the ram in and then reset the CMOS. Now, when it boots, it counts the new amount of ram in the post screen and finishes with a screen about configuration changes, press F1 to save changes. My problem is, it seems like it's not recognizing my keyboard or something because pressing F1 does nothing, I cannot boot into setup with the F10 method. It does this even when I put the old ram back in I'm guessing because the cmos has been reset. Anyone have any ideas to possibly get past this. Thanks.

As a reference, here is what the screen looks like.

Are you using the old memory with the new? If so that is probably the cause. Mixing and mismatched memory. The voltages and timings differ with the new memory than previously and the bios is freaking out over it. If you are mixing memory then pull one or the other out and reset the bios to factory defaults. In your case pulling the bio battery, or using the bios reset jumper. If you do that first unplug the power cord and press power button to clear any standby voltage. Reset it by pulling the battery out for 1 minute, or leave the battery in and move the bios jumper from it's parking pins 2-3 to pin 1-2 for 1 minute, then move it back to it's parking pins 2-3. Hook up the cord and fire it up again to test it. Keyboard mouse needs to be plugged in. You can go into bios and turn that keyboard warning off. Furthermore, You may or may not have to put the lid back on. Some cases have a sensor if the side panel is off it may beep at you or flash a message. I usually turn that stupid keyboard warning off cause I have machines I access remotely with no mouse or keyboard. They just sit happily in the corner waiting for Wake on Lan signal to boot up. :)

Edited by technonymous, 23 October 2015 - 10:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users