Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot share hdd to network

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 K12RiV

K12RiV

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:43 AM

I have a Windows 7 ultimate pc and I 2 tb hdd I'm trying to share with the network. I have it share by right clicking it and going to properties, sharing, advanced sharing and sharing it that way.

I also set the permissions to everyone with full access and owner to everyone full access. But when I go to my windows 10 pc I can see it so I click on it and go to it but when I try and paste files into it I get an error saying you need permission.
Idk why I would get this when everyone should have access.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:20 AM

What file path...are you trying to paste files into?

Historically...Windows will allow full access to all files on a shared drive...with the exception of the Docs & Settings/User files of a respective user.  Access to those files/folders must be granted specifically.

Example:  I dual-boot Win 7 and XP.  If I try to move files from my Win 7 shared hard drive to my XP hard shared hard drive...I can do so until I try to paste/move something into XP Docs & Settings.  At that point, I get a "no access" message.  I then go to the XP system, drill down to my Docs & Settings folders on that drive...exercise the sharing options for that group...and I can then transfer the files to those folders.

This probably should be moved to the Win 10 Support forum, I will do that.

Louis

#3 K12RiV

K12RiV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:57 PM

I am trying to boot to a secondary drive in the root of it do m:\ is where I'm trying paste. It's not just win 10 it's any pic that's trying to put files in. I can open files but not create wich is fun since I have read and write access. Supposedly. I may try n ftp server. And I set everyone to owner.

#4 K12RiV

K12RiV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:59 PM

Also how do I make so system files stop showing up in there like $recyclingbin$ and volume information. It gets annoying getting corruption errors. The drive is 2tb wd. Red.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:37 PM

What shows up in your File Explorer window is a direct function of the File Explorer Options you've chose, specifically the View options.  It sounds like you have the Show Hidden Files, folders, & drives option selected.  Go in to File Explorer Options, View tab, and de-select it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:02 PM

Concerning corruption errors from miss-placed system folders/files:  Also, what I have discovered -- after one has copied or moved folders/files somewhere, if one leaves the copied stuff highlighted, and then clicks on copy, move or delete -- that highlighted stuff gets exactly that - copied, moved, or deleted, on one's very next explorer.exe operations.  Thankfully, I have Recycle Bin and Resplendence's Undeluxe to recover such accidentally deleted material.  Moved?  Well, I look for it.  britechguy - is that a form of technological rococo?  :)

Edited by RolandJS, 23 October 2015 - 03:06 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#7 K12RiV

K12RiV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for the information im just using windows 7 for server use since its an OS im very familiar with and ive setup an ftp server on it and team viewer. i couldn't share the drive but FTP is working fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users