Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having problems booting...don't think it's a software problem.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rrochell8

rrochell8

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:31 PM

So a guy at work brings me a computer that will not do anything.  I opened it up and it was filthy inside and had 9 blown capacitors. It was a HP Pavillion desktop running Vista.  I decided the best route was to buy a used motherboard on ebay and switch it out.  The motherboard was a MCP61-HM.  Got the board and switched everything around and fired it up....first thing I noticed was when I plugged in the power cord, all the fans came on and running at full blast.  When I pushed the power button, everything settled down and the machine fired up.  After removing 22 toolbars and cleaning up 2500 or so infected files the machine was running good.  I used it for about 2 weeks and then got it ready to take back it's owner.  Unfortunately, he was fired and I've never seen him or heard from him again.  Pulled the machine out of the closet tonight and tried to fire it up.  It tries to let me chose between safe mode and the like but will not seem to boot.  Goes into a loop.  I can see a BSCOD just before it clicks and tries to boot again.  I can get into the bios, but nothing seems to help.  I put in a hard drive that I know works with the same results.  I still get the crazy fans when i hook up the power cord, but when I push the power button it settles down.  Not sure where to go now.....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,603 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:53 PM

For a spare computer I would get rid of Vista and install Linux Mint Cinnamon 64bit. Now your chances of getting infected are slim and none.

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=190

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCxcjHjmjDA

Edited by hamluis, 23 October 2015 - 08:39 AM.

#3 rrochell8

rrochell8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 09:06 PM

Before I do any of that.....I need it to boot...

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,603 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 09:24 PM

Can you boot a CD/DVD disk or USB flash drive?  The linux install boot disk will completely bypass the BSOD if it isn't a hardware problem.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 October 2015 - 09:24 PM.

#5 rrochell8

rrochell8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:56 PM

Well I got it to boot.  Took all of the connectors lose and reconnected.  This particular computer had built in video and so I decided to drop in a video card I had lying around.  Fired it up and it went to a screen telling me of errors and such.  Never have seen this particular black screen before.  Wish I had written down what it was saying and asking of me.  Made a couple of choices and the computer booted right up!  Must have been something wrong with the onboard video.  Talk about luck!  I'll take it.....

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,603 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:03 PM

Glad you got it to boot and thanks for the feedback. Just for the heck of it take a look at Mint. Vista extended support with security updates ends in April 2017 and it's a pretty crappy OS too.

#7 rrochell8

rrochell8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:03 PM

I neglected to say that after I worked on the computer I installed Windows 7 Pro.  Got nothing running Vista.  I did download the Linux Mint and burned a copy of it.  Going to check it out.  Thanks for the links.

#8 rrochell8

rrochell8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:07 PM

Those fans still raise hell when I plug the machine in and then settle down and run fine once I press the power button.  If the machine goes into a hibernation mode, it will not wake back up.  I have to then unplug the power cord, plug it back up (racing fans again) and press the power button again and it resumes windows right where I left it before it went to sleep.  Any ideas on that one?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,603 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:39 PM

I am not sure. I had a emachines that would not get out of sleep mode and when I installed a new PSU, the problem went away. Racing Fans would seem to indicate a heat issue. You can check out your temperatures with Speedfan. Has the Desktop ever been opened up and dusted out?

#10 rrochell8

rrochell8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:36 PM

When I got the machine, it was so filthy and had gotten so hot that it popped about nine capacitors on the board.  Bought a used board from ebay, cleaned everything to about new state and put it all back together.  Quick recap of the first post.

Edited by rrochell8, 25 October 2015 - 09:38 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,603 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:39 AM

I would check your temps with SpeedFan. If the temps are okay then it may be a sensor on the motherboard that is throwing off the fan speeds.

If you go into BIOS is there a setting for fan speeds and temperature? You first post lists the motherboard. The specs shows it uses an AMD processor. In the BIOS look for something called "Cool and Quiet". I am not sure if this motherboard has it though. It will automatically adjust fan speeds based on temps.

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:46 AM

i had that RPM problem with a computer once; turned out that it was the video card fan running hyper-speed. Deleted and reinstalled the card drivers and reseated the fan and the problem disappeared. I also suggest resetting the CMOS back to factory default. As far as the power button issue...make sure you have turned off all screensavers and sleep modes for the computer. Just for a test, power down, pull the lead from the power switch where it plugs into the mainboard and cross the two tiny contacts with a screwdriver. Does the unit power up properly without the hibernation problem? If so, you have a power switch on the way to failing. 

Edited by ranchhand_, 26 October 2015 - 08:55 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users