Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First big Windows 10 Patch to be released early November

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:25 PM

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/10/22/first-big-windows-10-patch-to-be-released-early-november/?_m=3n.0038.1768.ja0ao07p52.1u7q

Microsoft released several new Windows Insider builds since the final release of its new Windows 10 operating system a couple of months ago.

The company released patches for Windows 10 RTM as well but those were largely security or stability related and not feature updates.

Sources close to Microsoft indicate that this will change in early November when Microsoft plans to release the Windows 10 Fall Update to the release version of the operating system.

The new update, previously known as Threshold R2 introduces improvements to existing features as well as new features to the operating system.

The update has no prerequisites and can be installed on any Windows 10 RTM version right away as it is cumulative in nature. In addition, it is installed via Windows Update under the name "Windows 10 November 2015".

Important changes in the Windows 10 November 2015 update

1. Start tiles support jumplists.
  2. Desktop tiles can have their own color and you may show three or four medium tiles per group now.
  3. Additional Cortana features: inked notes, track movies and ticketed events, missed phone calls, energy saving, syncing of messaging and calling history.
  4. Microsoft Edge upgrades: improved HTML5 and CSS3 support, and ECMAScript 6 and 7 support, tab previews, Favorites and Reading List synchronization, F12 tools can be docked to the window, search engine setting in its own pane.
  5. Locate your device with GPS and Location tracking.
  6. Disallow apps to: access call history, access and send emails.
  7. New Default apps: Skype Video, Messaging, Phone, Sway.
  8. All built-in applications are updated to more recent versions.
  9. Improved memory management
  10. Reworked Environmental Variables window.
  11. Windows 10 can be activated with a Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 key during or after installation.

Important fixes

1. Apps can be installed to other drives.
  2. Option to define where offline maps are stored.
  3. The color set under Personalization now affects titlebars as well.
  4. Improved -- more consistent -- look of context menus and drop downs.
  5. Improved dark and light theming.
  6. Cortana support for local accounts.
  7. Start supports up to 2048 tiles after the update instead of just 512 (which caused display issues').
  8. Two windows snapped side by side can now be resized (horizontally)
  9. The Control Panel's Theme Settings have been reverted back to the Windows 8.1 state giving you more options.

Edited by Condobloke, 22 October 2015 - 05:27 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:49 PM

I wonder how big this mandatory update will be? This could play hell with people that have data limits.

#3 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:22 PM

Funny, their glitzy advertising (ghoulish and Orwellian IMO) said nothing about W10 needing patch ups, etc.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#4 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 22 October 2015 - 09:16 PM

I'm looking forward to it. Win 10 was so not ready for prime time when it was launched, and I hope this will fix some of the problems others are having. I do feel for the folks on metered connections, though, and can see many of them reverting to 7 or 8.1 because they can't afford all the updates.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,832 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:33 PM

It was abundantly clear to me, as someone who used the Win10 previews, that the "release to the wild" of Win10 was another of those instances of a hard date driven release rather than an "it's definitely fully ready" release.  Given the amount of what was tweaked, fixed, etc., during the preview builds I figured that it would be at least very near to ready-for-primetime status and, as far as I'm concerned, that was true.

I can't imagine how Win10 is any different than earlier versions of Windows and their service packs.  Anyone who uses Windows knows that the OS is the number one target in the world for every hacker out there because of its ubiquity and this means a constant stream of updates and security patches as new threats become known.  If you aren't prepared to allow these to download and install, on a routine basis, then it is profoundly unwise to be using Windows in any of its iterations in the first place.

It isn't that OS-X or Linux are impenetrable, it's that they're not nearly as attractive as targets for mayhem because their respective markets and user bases are minuscule by comparison.  Android is now becoming a far more popular target on mobile devices because of its ubiquity.  When your "main jollies" come from seeing how much consternation you can create having the the largest number of potential targets is a big deal.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,690 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:57 PM

Funny, their glitzy advertising (ghoulish and Orwellian IMO) said nothing about W10 needing patch ups, etc.

Microsoft are clear on their intention that Windows 10 is the "last Windows", and from now on Windows development will all arrive as update patches. As the older versioned software falls off the radar, Vista, 7, 8.x, Windows going forward will just be Windows, and all its form and features, security etc will be determined by the date it is updated to. These days, not advertising that software will need patching is a bit like not advertising that a car will need washing.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,832 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:48 AM

Amen!!  All software that has an extended life cycle will need patches over time as vulnerabilities (including bugs) are identified.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,618 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:58 AM

I am curious as to what Windows 10 will be called after 2025 which is the end of extended support according to Microsoft.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

#9 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:05 AM

Microsoft are clear on their intention that Windows 10 is the "last Windows", and from now on Windows development will all arrive as update patches. As the older versioned software falls off the radar, Vista, 7, 8.x, Windows going forward will just be Windows, and all its form and features, security etc will be determined by the date it is updated to. These days, not advertising that software will need patching is a bit like not advertising that a car will need washing.

A bit like washing my car, eh ? If you truly believe that - and you obviously do as you wrote it - it seems to me you are participating in a doublespeak of Orwellian proportions.

When I wash my car it remains exactly the same - just a little cleaner. When I clean (wash) the cache in my computer, it too remains the same, absent the unwanted garbage that had accumulated through usage.

Patches, as far as I know, historically, in computer parlance, have meant exactly that - patching or fixing something that is broken or damaged or wasn’t right in the first place. Until, the patching just becomes too much, and a new version is put out.

I guess the Microsoft juggernaut though, considers itself fit to change the very language we use, and we need to get with the program. Ignorance is strength, after all.

You yourself put ’last windows’ in quotation marks, thus indicating your acquiescence to the accepted view that it isn’t really that at all .. But it’s Microsoft calling it ‘last windows‘, so who are we argue, eh ?

The list of twenty items in the OP, do NOT look like a ‘clean‘, to me - they look like changes, fixes of things done wrongly, badly, or insufficiently in the first place. Or maybe even improvements.

I am not against development and improvement. But calling it the ’last windows’ ? You may as well call me or you the last human, notwithstanding the inevitable onset of age, frailty, senility .. And to speak nothing of our progeny ..

And to call their fixes and patches a ‘clean‘, well, you may as well say that when I was thrown off my horse and down a gully, and broke my jaw, my arm in three places, broke three fingers, and was subsequently rushed to hospital to be patched up, well, you may as well say I had a warm cleansing bath.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,690 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:36 AM

A patch is a modification that is done to software in situ, without having to re-install it. Placing an expression in quotation marks means you are saying something someone else has said, it is not your own original creation. And I've seen the same kind of complaints and sky-falling carry on that gets said about Windows 10 since the delightful MS-DOS 3.3 was superseded by the appalling MS-DOS 4. Life happily went on.

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,690 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:37 AM

I am curious as to what Windows 10 will be called after 2025 which is the end of extended support according to Microsoft.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Microsoft and Apple will merge and produce OS XI

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,832 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:57 AM

A patch is a modification that is done to software in situ, without having to re-install it. Placing an expression in quotation marks means you are saying something someone else has said, it is not your own original creation. And I've seen the same kind of complaints and sky-falling carry on that gets said about Windows 10 since the delightful MS-DOS 3.3 was superseded by the appalling MS-DOS 4. Life happily went on.

Yep.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Also, in the words of a dear, departed aunt:  "You couldn't please some people if you were to hang 'em with a new rope!"

~ Lauren Bacall

#13 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:31 PM

OK, jargos, maybe patching an OS isn't exactly like washing a car. It's more like having the oil changed or replacing the tires, neither of which needs to be advertised, either.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,832 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:16 PM

Also, adding functionality to an OS that is consistent with the existing EULA you already agreed to (even if you did so without ever having read a word of it) is not scandalous, unethical, or manipulative either.

I never expect any OS to remain static and not undergo patching and to get feature changes on a very regular basis.  What really annoys me is when features that I've grown to know and love are removed without any hint that this is coming.

An OS is not, by it's very nature, "personal" software that can be completely and utterly customized to the liking of each and every user.  I have yet to encounter one that even comes close to being that.  They're tools that we use and, as part of that use, adapt to certain ways of doing things that we may not particularly like.  One of the reasons I don't like Apple products is because they're not nearly as easy to tweak to my liking and I find "the Apple way" counterintuitive to my way of thinking and acting.  I don't rail against Apple because of that but instead choose other alternatives.  The market is open enough that anyone can do this.

I don't think that anyone needs to cheerlead for MS or anyone else, either.  There are legitimate complaints to be made.  What is completely unacceptable to one person may be perfectly OK to another.  I just tire of the histrionics from the MS-haters and am just as irritated by so-called fanboy behavior for MS (or Apple or Linux or . . .) because nothing is without fault.

~ Lauren Bacall

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,618 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:30 PM

Patch KB 3105208 for Windows 10 beta build 10565 triggers BSODs

As the next version of Windows 10, code-named Threshold 2, nears sign-off, there have been two back-to-back patches for the latest beta build, 10565. The latest patch, KB 3105208, was released Thursday night and triggers repeated blue screenson a large number of PCs.

I call it a nightmare scenario because there's no obvious way to protect your system. With Windows 10's forced update policy, even if you can get Windows 10 to boot again (most likely by reverting to an earlier restore point or possibly by re-installing an old drive image, if you kept one), you're going to get stuck the next time Windows Update comes up for air.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users